What's the point of Lightroom & Aperture if Color Variance in Pictures is SO UNSTABLE

Reaction score
- i color calibrated my macbook with spyder2pro.

-slaved hours on lightroom adjusting the color on a photo that i took...after "perfecting" the image. i saved the image very satisfied with my work.

-sent it on over to the photo lab and had the picture printed.

well what do you know. not only does the color in the photo look nothing like the image on my LCD screen, ive noticed that the color of the photo looks different depending whether i am looking at it in photoshop, in preview, in firefox, in safari.

its driving me mad.

any tips & advice?

here is my display info for my macbook pro

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The issue is not the image editing software but the photo lab. They need to get their inks right. For me to get the a good print I need to have the onscreen photo a slightly to the purple side in photoshop then I get the perfect print out. Cause all printers are calibrated differently you'll need to get a setting for each printer in photoshop etc that will work.

And that is the big issue. Even Apple reportedly invested a little in getting screen to print to work perfectly.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Need to call up your printer and ask for their color profiles. That way when you are working on your machine you get accurate or closer colors for when you do print.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.