File/photo sharing

Reaction score
I am new to Macs in general but not new to security. A friend has imported photos in iPhoto on user account A but it trying to share them (I'm personally not sure which directory/folder the photos are stored in) with a new user account B that she has created to use only at work.

Can anyone help me? Is this a permissions thing on the directories? Does account A security settings need to be changed to allow access to the files? How does directory security and user-to-user access work in general with OSX? Can anyone provide a URL for a tutorial?

I know she's on OSX but don't really know what version.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
I am new to Macs in general but not new to security. A friend has imported photos in iPhoto on user account A but it trying to share them (I'm personally not sure which directory/folder the photos are stored in) with a new user account B that she has created to use only at work.

Can anyone help me? Is this a permissions thing on the directories? Does account A security settings need to be changed to allow access to the files? How does directory security and user-to-user access work in general with OSX? Can anyone provide a URL for a tutorial?

I know she's on OSX but don't really know what version.

Thank you in advance!

G'day mateoc15 & welcome to Mac-Forums.

I found this tutorial on file sharing in Mac OS X:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461

Reaction score
I think he means sharing on the same computer with a different user.

I believe any files you put into the SHARED folder are usable by all users. Not really sure how you make all your photos available to be viewed in iPhoto by all users.

Reaction score
This is taken from Finder Help:

Anyone who logs in to your computer can read or copy the items you put in your Public folder (except for your Drop Box folder, which only you can open).

To give a file to someone who uses your computer, open their Public folder (in their home folder in the Users folder on your hard disk) and copy (Option-drag) the file to their Drop Box folder where only they can see it.

Or, copy it to the Shared folder (in the Users folder on your hard disk)

To share photos from an iPhoto library, launch iPhoto and highlight the photos you wish to share and then go to:

File>Export ...

Set the prefs for the images and click on:

Export ...

Then in the window that appears - navigate to:

Macintosh HD>Users>UserAccountName>Public>DropBox ...

OR ...

Macintosh HD>Users>Shared ...

Click OK and it's completed.

The difference here is that in Shared, anyone can view the files as opposed to DropBox, where only the owner of that UserAccount can view the pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
yeah, drop box is the way to go. Though, I think, depending on the settings, you're unable to view content in another user's drop box - you can only deposit. So once it's there, there's nothing your account can do about it.

Mateoc15, drop boxes should be available on all versions of OSX, to my knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.