IMAC making noise while in sleep mode

Reaction score
I have had this Imac for about 7 months. Whenever I put it to sleep, it will make that low grumble sound like once you wake it, and the light spin sound as if the disk is spinning. It does this about every 20-3- minutes. Not 100% sure on the time intervals, but it happens. The screen doesn't wake, but it makes that noise, not a loud sound, but a sound nonetheless. Deosn't that mean it isn't actually in sleep, and cosuming energy?

Anyone heard this before? How would I put a stop to this, or figure out what exactly is causing it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which iMac do you have and what size is the hard drive? Apple has been issuing recalls for iMacs that were purchased in 2011 - 2012 that have the 1 TB Seagate HDD installed. They're replacing the hard drive for free.

The reason I ask is because it sounds like your hard drive may be spinning up and down every so often. It shouldn't be doing that while the machine sleeps. Also, make sure under System Preferences, Energy Saver, that you place a check in the box that says "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

OP
M
Reaction score
Which iMac do you have and what size is the hard drive? Apple has been issuing recalls for iMacs that were purchased in 2011 - 2012 that have the 1 TB Seagate HDD installed. They're replacing the hard drive for free.

The reason I ask is because it sounds like your hard drive may be spinning up and down every so often. It shouldn't be doing that while the machine sleeps. Also, make sure under System Preferences, Energy Saver, that you place a check in the box that says "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".

The Imac that I have, onthe receipt says this "iMac27/2.7QC/2X2GB/1TB/6770M"

I bought it in May of 2012. Where can I find info about them replacing the Hard Drive? Yeah, I believe I have everything checked as you stated, I will double check when I get off of work, but it does make that low grumble, and spinning noise every so often when it is suposed to sleep

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I just checked, my Serial # is not eligible for the program, I guess it was only from Oct 2011-July 2011. Hopefully I can figure out why it is doing this. Paying 1899, after RAM upgrade...not going to be a happy camper if something is wrong and have only had it since May

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...not going to be a happy camper if something is wrong and have only had it since May

If you purchased this iMac brand new…you have 12 months of Applecare. If you truly have a problem…contact Apple about getting it diagnosed.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score

The "Sleep disk when possible" was checked, but there was something checked called "wake for wireless networks" or something like that. Could that be causing it to make those noises while sleeping? It is not hard-wired, it is running off of my wireless network, there is about 4 devices included within that network.

Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Any idea if the wake for wireless networks would cause the noise, or would that actually wake it completely, including turning on the screen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "wake for wireless" will bring the entire machine out of sleep not just the hard drive. It works the same way that "wake for network access" does.

OP
M
Reaction score
The "wake for wireless" will bring the entire machine out of sleep not just the hard drive. It works the same way that "wake for network access" does.

Ok, so any other ideas on what could cause this or how to fix it

Reaction score
wireless

I too am having "ghost in the machine" issues where i hear the hard drive spinning while my mac mini is in sleep mode.

The screen doesn't come on at all, and I have it set to require a password upon waking. Airport is off (connected by hardwired Ethernet) and all sharing is unticked. So after reading in this discussion about "wake for wireless" I went to my System Preferences and typed "wireless" into the search box. It highlighted "bluetooth" as well, so I unchecked both the "on" and "discoverable" boxes, as I don't need to access my computer remotely. I am hoping this stops it from making spooky, power-wasting noises.

Let me know if this helps, I will try to track mine and see if it still does this. I had a similar problem years ago with a G3, but I replaced my cheap USB hub and it fixed it that time. So 2 ideas for you to try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.