It's slower now...

T

The Giver

I got my iBook last December new, and I have 40 GB left on my Harddrive.. But I have a question, my iBooks performance is deteoriating (sp?)... Meaning that when I am on Appleworks, sometimes it slows down A LOT, and the little thing pops up that is multi colored and spins.. and it finally stops and resume to normal.. Also, it is taking a lot longer for iChat to load. My World Book programs are also not even loading when I try to start them up... So what's wrong? I have Norton AntiVirus so I'm positive it's not a virus...

OP
C

ChicoWeb

Probably need some more RAM. It depends on how many programs you have open at once too. My gf complained once about how slow it was running, but she had about every program made for apple open at once.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
On a totally off topic note, The Giver is a book. Its a good book that I'm reading now, and The Giver's name made me think of it. Go out and buy it, or sparknotes it or something...

Now, on topic: Do a search on macupdate for OnyX, run all the tasks, and maybe it will speed things up. When my machine starts to slow down, that is what I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Have you been running the daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance scripts? Also, how often do you restart the machine?

OP
C

CaptainMack

i recomend repairing permissions.

off topic: zero, the giver is a very good book, the only reason i clicked on this topic is because your name was the giver and it reminded me of it. have you finnished it?

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
CaptainMack said:
i recomend repairing permissions.

off topic: zero, the giver is a very good book, the only reason i clicked on this topic is because your name was the giver and it reminded me of it. have you finnished it?
Reparing permissions may help, I notice an increase in performance when starting up, everything is snappy.

Off topic: I haven't finished it, I'll probably be finished with it this week though.

OP
T

The Giver

When i restart, all the programs are slow to start, like when I shut it down overnight, and start it up in the morning, I click on ichat to open up, and it bounces like 5 times and then it waits a few seconds to load...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Your iBook might be set to save energy, which reduces processor performance. You can change this setting to optimize processor performance in Energy Saver preferences.

To change the processor performance setting:
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Energy Saver.
Click Options. If you don't see the Options button, click Show Details.
Choose Highest from the Processor Performance pop-up menu to allow your computer to work at its fastest.

Setting the processor performance to Highest uses more energy, so your battery may run out more quickly.

Also, the files on your hard drive may be fragmented to a point that it is causing the slow down. Although the installer does some optimization after OS updates, it does not optimize the entire drive. Use a program like Drive 10 or TechTool Pro 4 to optimize the drive for better performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't think it's ram as I also have a G4 1Ghz iBook and mine runs quite well on only 256MB...

I'd also recommend downloading either oynX or Macjanitor and running one of those...

You could also check to see if any programs are being started up in the background (helper apps...)

Go to system prefs, accounts, startup items to see what is being started on login...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.