iMac randomly restarting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (late 2006 model). 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM,RadeonX1600 graphics card,
I run a 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (late 2006 model, though it was purchased in July '07, right before the glossy 2007 models came out) and I have been experiencing some problems lately. I usually leave my mac on when I go to bed, but lately it's been at the login screen when I wake up. I've checked my settings to see if maybe I accidentally had it automatically go to the login screen after some amount of time. I didn't. Then, while I was doing somethings on it today, the iMac restarted. It went to the login screen, and before I could enter anything, it restarted again.

I have sleep mode disabled (it shuts down my programs that are the reason for leaving my mac on) I've read someone else's thread about overheating and going into sleep mode, could this be the same problem only I don't have sleep mode enabled so it just restarts?

I have my air conditioning on right now, and I'm on my mac right now as well. Everything seems fine... the back is a little warm, which seems to be happening a lot lately. Any help would be awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For starters run Apple Hardware Test and see what is reported.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (late 2006 model). 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM,RadeonX1600 graphics card,
I ran the test, and about 7 minutes in it gave me this error:

4MOT/1/40000003.HDD

I ran it again and it gave me the same error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2G Mac Pro, 6Gb RAM, Lotsa HD space, 24" Samsung LCD
'HDD' would seem to suggest a hard drive problem.

Might be worth downloading the latest version of OnyX (freeware) and letting it run the S.M.A.R.T. test to see if the hard drive is reporting any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
how do you run Apple hardware test?
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

I ran the test, and about 7 minutes in it gave me this error:

4MOT/1/40000003.HDD

I ran it again and it gave me the same error.
PM Fallooza. He posted this once, (for some reason) maybe he knows the exact meaning??:Confused:
Fallooza
member_badge.gif

Error Code:

4MOT/1/40000003: HDD

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I talked to Apple Tech support (my mac is under warranty until June 2011) and he said the 4MOT suggests a fan problem, and the HDD is hard disk drive. He couldn't be sure of the actual problem so he told me that I should take it to an apple store to be serviced and have them look at it.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same error message. What did you discover when you brought it in? Mine is no longer under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.