MacMail not receiving all messages

Reaction score
I'm brand new to the Mac world, so please excuse me if I'm missing something simple or if I don't give all the necessary information.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and running Mac OS X 10.5.6

I set up macmail and used it successfully for 2-3 days. All of a sudden I stopped receiving some of my emails. I didn't realize it for 2 days, since I was still receiving some emails, but not all. My husband mentioned sending me one I hadn't received, which is when I realized the problem. I checked my old machine (PC) which is still running Windows and Outlook and the messages were all there. I've looked through some forums, but can't find anyone with the same situation. It seems everyone is either receiving all or none.

I have no rules set up and it is POP3.

I can't find a commonality between the messages I'm not receiving. I've tried Connection Doctor which reports everything is normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You could start by updating your OS to 10.5.8
You can get it HERE.
Best to dl it straight from apple site instead of the System Update. Once you have got it install it, then run Repair Disk Permissions.
Unless someone else pops in for another solution, just keep us posted so we can try another method.
And i dare say we will find your problem eventually lol

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
I will try that. In the meantime I got Office for Macs and am running Entourage, too. Trying to see if it's the app or the machine. I'm also still running Office on the old PC. So that means I'm comparing 3 sets of emails to make sure I don't miss any. As of now, Entourage has missed one... once again, not sure if it's the app or the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Cool. its just a matter of weeding out things 1 by 1. But once the system is updated, we might have a better chance if it still occurs. Make sure you update entourage as well ...

Cheers

OP
P
Reaction score
No, I've already checked that. Nothing in the junk folder. And I have had some things go there, so I know they're not getting automatically deleted from the junk folder or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
do you have your pop3 email set to remove from server ? If yes there is a chance your old windows box is removing those emails before the Mac can check. Just a thought. I use IMAP for all my email accts so the messages are always synced between machines.

Clay

OP
P
Reaction score
I have updated software. I'm now running 10.5.8. After I did that Entourage quit working and I had to uninstall and reinstall Office, then re-update it. But now everything is back in working order and updated.

I checked my old machine and there was a box "Leave messages on the server" that was not checked. I checked it and will wait a day or so to see if that solves it. It would seem odd to me though that some of the messages were still coming through to MacMail and Entourage. I'll keep you updated.

OP
P
Reaction score
**solved**

It's fixed. Apparently Outlook was deleting messages off the server when it received them. Odd it didn't remove them all. Thanks for the help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac OS X Version 10.6 8
Hi purpleinnej, how did you find out that it was Outlook doing it? I'd be interested as my PC picked up some mail that my iMac didn't! And, like you I checked to make sure the "leave it on the server" box was checked on all machines, and it was. So how did you find out Outlook delted them?

OP
P
Reaction score
In my case the box, "Leave messages on server" was not checked. Once I checked it, my problem was solved.

Reaction score
Occasional emails not received in MacMail

Hi, Purpleinnej,

You said you fixed the issue. I have the same problem. I get some messages from certain sources, but not all. I looked for "Leave messages on server" but couldn't find it. Can you give me some specifics on where exactly you found this, please?

OP
P
Reaction score
Sure, I'll try

Entourage-> Account Settings
Double click on your account name (mine is NAME(POP))
Options tab
Under server options, it's the second one listed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.