Time Machine: Restoring a Mac that operates over 2 partitions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
I've just replaced the optical drive with an SSD, so now I have the usual setup of an SSD with the OS and apps and then a data 1TB drive.

So I like to use Time Machine, and I know how to get the back up done, but what happens if I ever need to restore? Is TM smart enough to restore tonthe right drives/partitions correctly?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you move your home folder to the 2nd drive and set that up properly? - how to.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Followed the instructions but could not get that to work, so have just moved my big documents manually and left some bits on the SSD.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Multiple-Partition Time Machine backups & recoveries?

I've always TM'ed single-partition installs. But now I have an SSD & HDD combo inside a MBP. I understand that I can do the backup, but what happens if I have a failure and need to recover from scratch. How does the recovery go? Do I get options for recovering the data correctly to the 2 drives/partitions?

Can't think of a way to try this myself without flipping a coin on losing my setup

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.