Do I empty my bursting download folder?

Reaction score
Hello - I don't like the word 'newbie' but I guess I am one right now.
Please excuse the non-mac speak - used them for years but never had to speak about them - that's how good they are.

On my Finder window where there's a little house symbol with my name next to it. In this 'house' file is my 'download' folder where I guess everything I download goes:D. Question is - there's loads of stuff in there - seems like everything I've ever downloaded - do I need to empty it all or will it cock up my system if I do?

Many thanks,

Horatio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz 4GB 500GB HDD i3 Processor ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB / iPhone 3GS 8GB
I should not see it doing any harm all it is doing is just showing your download history (I Think)
If it was to get to full I am sure your Mac should warn you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
If you've put all the downloaded things where they should be, i.e: installed all the apps etc., then yes empty it, it won't affect anything.
You should empty it every time really.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can leave it if you want. It's just taking up space on your HDD.

My policy is if I don't need it anymore then I get rid of it. Either by backing it up to a CD, external HDD or the trash bin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Trash the things you will never need to download again. For example, you have version 3.4 of Application and version 3.5 in your downloads folder. Delete 3.4 - you'll never need it again. Keep 3.5 in case you have to reinstall, which will save you the trouble of finding it and downloading it again.

Images, files, etc. - it's your call.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for your speedy responses guys! Time to spring clean and do some serious binning then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion, go through the list and if you need to keep anything, such as downloaded applications, drag to the desktop, pop in a DVD+RW disc and burn to that with any burning program. That way the DVD+RW can be updated with downloads you need to keep.

The rest simply select Delete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.