OS X Server - OD, WGM and Application Preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz Intel MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Xeon Quad Core Mac Pro
Hi,

How might you go about setting application preferences automatically for each user in an OD?

For example: a standard machine runs Propellerheads Reason, Ableton Live and Logic Pro. Users logging in for the first time must set preferences for each application i.e. audio device, i/ps, o/ps, buffer size etc.

I'm sure there must be a way to set all these automatically for all users.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
OS X Server Admin Tools.

Install Server Admin Tools on a Mac that has the applications you mentioned. Then establish a connection with your server using Workgroup Manager.

In Workgroup Manager, select the users or groups on the left and select the Preferences button. Then the details option. You can import the existing preference file from the Mac that you are currently using WM on. These preferences will then be "managed" for the specified OD users/groups.

OP
NOEQ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz Intel MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Xeon Quad Core Mac Pro
WGM and Preferences

Many thanks MacsWork!

I've done as advised...didn't expect it to be quite that straightforward ;D

One final query - is .GlobalPreferences.plist within Library/Preferences the correct preferences file?

There's also a sub-folder within Library/Preferences entitled System Configuration containing a preferences.plist

Thanks again for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.