10.7 In "The Cloud"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I have read rumors that 10.7 is going to be "in the cloud" with no actual bootable operating system, but instead one that is stored on-line. Any speculation as to whether this is true? If it is, I will continue using my MacBook until it dies and then I don't know what I will do, but I won't be using an OS that's in the cloud! I don't like the thought of having all my data on someone's web servers and needing an internet connection to use my computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
May I ask where you heard that? Is there a URL?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
I dont think that would work, surely you would need a decent internet connection everywhere you wanted to use your Mac?! I personally don't like the idea, but am interested to read more about it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I find it hard to believe that any mainstream desktop OS would be taken into the cloud with broadband access worldwide being what it is today, assuming the OS runs on the native hardware.

Now, if Apple is building a thin client, which would run its OS on a server farm and use a protocol like ICA or RDP, that would be a different story. But I just don't see any market for that outside of an 'always on, always connected' PDA/smartphone/e-reader style device. Even then, it would be a major leap, given the state of affairs with wireless broadband as provided by cell carriers. Although LTE might make it a possibility, I don't see it being possible without cell towers being much more densely distributed worldwide.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I find it hard to believe that any mainstream desktop OS would be taken into the cloud with broadband access worldwide being what it is today, assuming the OS runs on the native hardware.

I could see customized devices...such as something like the iPhone...that would or could be totally reliant on an internet based OS...but for home-based personal computers...that would be a much bigger leap from the current paradigm.

And of course the big question would be for an internet based OS...what would be the BIG advantage or added value compared to the way things are currently.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.