Probably some repeated questions so thanks in advance

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Macbook Pro. I have been using the same dell for 4 years. My daily uses are web browsing, music, pictures, papers, etc. I run some processing intensive programs like AutoCAD and have been getting into DJ'ing and video editing so I started using programs like ProTools and Abelton. My laptop has been having issues keeping up and has been giving a lot of problems even after upgrades and repairs so its time for a replacement.

I also want to get back into gaming. WOW, Starcraft II and Diablo III if they ever come out.

I was on the apple site and macmall.com and can't decided which one to get. I know i want the 15 inch but on the macmall.com site there are clearance ones of the older models for significantly less.

How much better is the penryn processor on the new models and what are the other differences between them? More reliable, less overheat issues, etc? Also is the glossy or non glossy screen better? I'm pretty sure if i get the clearance one one i'll be alright. I have been using the same computer now for 4 years and i keep myself updated/upgraded and running well. When are the new macbooks and macbook pros coming out?

Also should I maybe just get a macbook regular? is there a big difference?

Here are the two that i was looking at on macmall.com

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...+Hard+Drive+Notebook-MacBook+Pro&dpno=7256720

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...+Hard+Drive+Notebook-MacBook+Pro&dpno=7256721

The one on the apple site is the entry level 15 inch one with the penryn processor, new touchpad, and the light sensitive keyboard. I'm pretty sure the ones on macmall.com dont have the cool keyboard which would be nice i guess. i could care less about the trackpad.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hi goorav,

The penryn is obviously a step up from the previous chipset, but the previous will of course work just fine.

The glossy/matte screen is a personal choice thing - I would go into an Apple store and see which one you prefer.

Nobody is sure when the new macbooks are coming out but the general consensus is September time. If you can hold off purchasing for a while, you might want to consider this, but if you're planning on purchasing a previous generation anyway...

You *might* be able to get away with a macbook, although you did mention video editing, for which the Macbook Pro is generally recommended - although it depends on how intensive that is - I do light video editing just fine on my macbook.

OP
G
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the info. I can wait it out for a few months until september or october. Do some more research.

Reaction score
Mark has given you a good response. I concur with his post and want to add that, unless something has changed, I do not believe AutoCAD has a Mac version; you could, however, run it on Windows on your new Mac.

I would recommend a pro model for you, based on your needs. It will have more horsepower. I would also recommend spending your money on a fast hd and more ram as opposed to a faster processor; I think you will see better performance as a result.

If you are not eager to buy now and can wait a month or two, I would suggest seeing what the next model holds in store. There have been reports that Apple has warned its resellers to order a three-week supply of laptops and ipods warning of an impending shortage. It is ASSUMED that this is a precursor to new models being released.

My .02....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.