Mac OS 8.6 to OS X Tiger

• Thread starter intheshadows102
  • Start date
I

intheshadows102

Whew, I got one set of problems out of the way, now here comes a new set of them. At least I'm learning from this. Will I be able to upgrade my iMac with OS 8.6 to OS X Tiger? Can I do this without upgrading the RAM, since I really can't afford to do both. The reason I want to do this is because I'm trying, notice the word trying, to use this iMac to do some home recording. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The minimum requirement for RAM in 10.4 is 256 MB. Honestly, you are going to want more than 256 MB if you are going to OS X on a G3 iMac, though. How much does your iMac have now? You can get RAM fairly cheap at www.newegg.com. If I recall from your other thread, your iMac is circa 1999? If that is the case, you can take it up to 512 MB officially, and 1 GB unofficially, though I am not entirely sure. Those iMacs take PC-100 SDRAM, so if you happen to have any laying around,from on old PC, it would work just fine in the iMac.
What kind of recording are you trying to do, video or audio? The iMac should be able to handle either with no problems, but you are also going to have to think about what software will be needed to do the recordings.

OP
I

intheshadows102

How would I go about getting the RAM? I know this sounds rediculous but is it like a chip, or what? Sorry about these questions. I'm doing audio recording for my band.

OP
I

intheshadows102

Oh yeah, what would be the best to get as far as RAM, like the most. I'm willing to spend up to like $80, or at least that's like how much it looked on that site.

OP
T

tonyb

I am experience the same problem trying to take a beige G3 mini tower from OS 8.6 to OS X. I spent most of an hour on the phone with a apple tech and he told me that I needed system OS 9.0 not 9.1 or 9.04 but 9.0 installed first then take it to 9.2 and then you can install OSX over 9.2. I also did that on my Pismo G3 and that was what Ihad to do. I went from 9.0 to 9.2 to keep the classic environment along with thenew x.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.