just making sure....

Reaction score
before i sell them (because i hate to), that my Klipsch ultra 5.1 speaker system will not work on my brand new imac? :(

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, ComfortMac.

I can understand you not wanting to get rid of your Klipsch speakers: typically they always get the best reviews for computer speakers.

This is an Intel-based iMac you are talking about? I am surprised the move to Intel would have prevented Macs from using those speakers. I went to the Apple store just the other day and they had Klipsch speakers connected to an Intel iMac.

Do you have an Apple Store or a good and knowledgeable Mac store close to your home? Maybe you could ask the sales people there. The only thing I can see is maybe the connector doesn't fit? You don't add reasons why they wouldn't work so this is a shot in the dark here. Or maybe you need an external sound card that would support surround sound: although I think the Intel iMacs have surround sound support.

Maybe someone else can drop in here and offer more ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
First question, not to be rude, but did you try them? Speakers are not specific to PC or Mac. You should be able to plug your iPod or any sort of device 3.5mm jack into them and they should work.
Make sure the volume is up and so forth. Test them on some other device if you think it's the computer is the problem.
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The problem is that his model has three miniplugs, which means he won't be able to use all the channels of his speakers since the iMac only has a single audio output plug.

Reaction score
couldn't you get an adapter? Wouldn't that work? I don't know much about computers, but I'm sure they make an adapter that would work with that. Good luck :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.