Mac OSx 10.7.3 Sound Error

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just updated to the latest 10.7.3 Lion using the combo installer my Software Update app picked up.

Now I can't get any sound out of system. Running a 2011 iMac 27" and when I push the up or down volume keys on the keyboard the volume sign comes up on my screen but with a little crossed out circle under the volume level. I'll attached an image of what I'm getting.

Anyone else had this problem? Gone through all the sound settings and it all looks normal.

Cheers,

Ade

Screen-Shot-2012-02-13-at-20.44.20.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing to do is open System Preferences, Sound, and click on the tabs looking to see that you do not have "mute" checked.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi, I checked this out thanks. The mute button is checked, however it is grey out so I cannot de-select it!

The first thing to do is open System Preferences, Sound, and click on the tabs looking to see that you do not have "mute" checked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, let's reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Do this:

Shut down your iMac. Remove the plug from the AC mains, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Plug it back in and boot up. Check to see if you can now remove the mute from the sound preference panel. If that doesn't work, try a PRAM reset:

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.