Help with OS Upgrade!!

Reaction score
Hoping to get some advice on upgrades...I am currently using Powerbook G4 with OS 10.3.9. Got it in late 2003 and need to think upgrade. I am not looking to drop the cash for a new computer, but my storage space (get that startup disk is full message all the time) is always a major issue and I cannot run my itouch with this system. Any suggestions on a system upgrade in order to run the itouch? I can clear some space through an external hard drive - but looking for a cost effective way to upgrade the OS...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What speed processor BOBrien? A large internal drive is a must, depending on the processor up to 250GB maybe and then use the current drive as external with firewire.

Install Tiger OS X.4 if under 867MHz and Leopard OS X.5 if above and max out the memory if that has not been done already.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for the help. My system is 1GHZ/256MB RAM/40GB...in that case you would suggest Leopard and cross my fingers it does not crash system! Thanks for the reply, much appreciated for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It won't. Leopard is fast and rock solid but I would boost RAM up to 1.5GB if the machine is a Quicksilver and 2GB if a Mirror Disk Door/FW 800 models. Also install a larger HDD, 7200RPM speed will improve things and the machine will recognise drives over 128GB.

You might also like to look for an improved graphics card, such as an ATI Radeon 9600 which comes without a fan unit, is cool and silent.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.