Computer slower now with 2 gigs

Reaction score
I just installed 2 gigs into my new macbook, and i checked it recognizes both sticks. The first start up was very fast, like 20 sec or maybe quicker, but when i just started it up it took almost 2 minutes. How could this be? Why is the computer slower now, and it does still show both of the ram sticks now after the slow start up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well RAM doesn't have too much to do with startup. That's mostly harddrive speed. Adding more RAM to a system does add some latency, but not enough that you'd be able to tell...

Did you happen to do any software updates before restarting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
1. RAM alone will not make your computer any faster. Programs that utilize more RAM will run smoother and a little snappier, but it will not speed up your computer overall. More RAM only affects those applications that require more of it. Startup is not an application, nor is every day 'normal' use.

2. It is possible that you may have purchased some bad RAM sticks. Just because the computer recognizes them and reads them as the correct size, doesn't mean that they are necessarily good sticks. Try taking them out and reseatting them. If nothing changes, try them one at a time. If nothing changes still, go back to your factory RAM and see if there is any difference.
If there is, then you have likely got hold of bad RAM and may want to consider returning or exchanging it.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
1. RAM alone will not make your computer any faster. Programs that utilize more RAM will run smoother and a little snappier, but it will not speed up your computer overall. More RAM only affects those applications that require more of it. Startup is not an application, nor is every day 'normal' use.

2. It is possible that you may have purchased some bad RAM sticks. Just because the computer recognizes them and reads them as the correct size, doesn't mean that they are necessarily good sticks. Try taking them out and reseatting them. If nothing changes, try them one at a time. If nothing changes still, go back to your factory RAM and see if there is any difference.
If there is, then you have likely got hold of bad RAM and may want to consider returning or exchanging it.

Well said.

Jem

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:

Ummm... unless it's an Intel in which case surely a balanced pair of memory sticks is meant to perform at up to 10% faster than a single stick... or does that only apply to the intel iMac?

F

Flash Fire

Jem said:
Ummm... unless it's an Intel in which case surely a balanced pair of memory sticks is meant to perform at up to 10% faster than a single stick... or does that only apply to the intel iMac?

Well the only thing that gives two sticks a real benefit over one is if they are set up as a dual channel system right...? Is the MacBook or MBP a dual channel memory system or no...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Flash Fire said:
Is the MacBook or MBP a dual channel memory system or no...?
Yes, they both are. But, they operate on an asynchronous system so that you can run unmatched pairs of RAM and it will still give you the benefits of a dual channel system.
In other words, there really isn't that great of a benefit from matching pairs.

Jem

Reaction score
Is this the same system as the iMac? I'm sure I read somewhere on here that matched pairs on the iMac would result in something like an 8-10% performance increase?

Not particularly bothered, but mine does seem to fly with 2 x 1GB sticks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.