Is It Dead?

Reaction score
So like I totally dropped my computer tonight. At first, it was working fine and then it froze up and I rebooted, only to find a blank grey screen. After awhile, a blinking folder with a question mark popped up.

Ummm...yeah..I'm pretty sure it's gone now. My guess is I need to reload the OS on it? However, the only problem is I have a DVD already in there and now it won't come out.

Please help me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm guessing the HD is trashed. You can try replacing the HD with a new one and see if that works. To get the CD out, restart, and hold down the trackpad button.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmm I tried to boot it once more, and now I have the apple logo and the circle status thing but it's just sitting.

I'm gonna go ahead and call the Apple people tomorrow though.

Thanks for your input though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I 2nd what Stretch said. Sounds like the Hard Drive died due to the impact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Hmm I tried to boot it once more, and now I have the apple logo and the circle status thing but it's just sitting.

I'm gonna go ahead and call the Apple people tomorrow though.

Thanks for your input though!

If you tell them you've dropped it, any warranty you have on the machine is gone. It's just flat out gone. As in "you no longer have a warranty on your $2500 computer."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Moral: Don't drop your laptop - they don't like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Accidents DO happen........ *shrugs*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Moral: Don't drop your laptop - they don't like it.

I wonder if they have a special "insurance" available for the clumsy among us... Might be worth a few extra bucks for UmbrellaCare or something...

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I wonder if they have a special "insurance" available for the clumsy among us... Might be worth a few extra bucks for UmbrellaCare or something...

"They" (as in Apple) do not. Your insurance company probably does however. I added a "personal articles" rider onto my homeowner insurance for about $75/year that covers just about everything that Applecare does not. Theft, droppage, soda spills, etc. Check with your agent (FWIW, my policy is with State Farm; I have no idea if other companies offer the same coverage).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.