• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

ACMT exam study guides

Reaction score
What are some study guides I can use to prepare for the ACMT exams? Is the Apple Pro Training Series book OS X Support Essentials any good? What can I use to study for the hardware portion of the exam?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
This may help.

Access to the same online training as available to Apple-authorized service providers is sold to private parties as AppleCare Technician Training. This training kit is sold at the Apple Store Online and Apple Retail Stores. It costs US$299 for one year of online training access. For details about AppleCare Technician Training, see Apple - Support - AppleCare - Help Desk Support

Since June the ACMT exams are no longer taken at an examination centre, they are now taken online. The current exams are:

9L0-010 - Apple Certified Mac Technician Hardware Exam ($150 USD)
9L0-064 - Apple Certified Mac Technician OS Exam ($150 USD)

Another change that came in during June was doing away with the annual recertification exams. These have been replaced by exams on new products as they are released. I've had to take 5 in the last year at $15 each, your AASP employer will pay for those.

Lots of changes from the way training and exams used to be taken in the past.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of getting just a year of access. I'd rather have a more permanent source. What about the book I mentioned? Has anyone read it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I suspect Apple believe a year is ample time to study for your ACMT accreditation. The ACMT accreditation is intended for technicians either working for a service provider or for Apple. Once accredited and working in that role you do have continuous access to training materials.

I've never read the Apple Pro Training Series book OS X Support Essentials, so can't comment on it.

I work for an AASP. Good luck with your training

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.