Will an unlocked iphone 5 work in Israel/Palestine?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A couple relatives in Israel/Palestine were looking for an unlocked iphone to use there. It's cheaper if I buy it here and take it with me when I make the trip. If I grab an unlocked iPhone 5 on ebay and take it there, does anyone know if they'd have any problems using it with a local carrier? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Provided the carriers in Israel use the same method of transmission and supply a sim card, it should work. BTW, instead of buying an unlocked iPhone 5 off eBay, why not buy it direct from Apple?

OP
B
Reaction score
Provided the carriers in Israel use the same method of transmission and supply a sim card, it should work. BTW, instead of buying an unlocked iPhone 5 off eBay, why not buy it direct from Apple?

Thanks, is it cheaper direct from Apple?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably cheaper from Apple. Sellers on eBay are notoriously high when it comes to selling unlocked iPhones. Besides, I wouldn't trust how they unlocked the phone. Buying from Apple you'll know what you're getting and also have a warranty.

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow thanks. I was SO surprised to see that the 16gb white iphone 5 on ebay ending soonest was already at $649 and that you could buy the same one straight from apple for $650 (plus tax/shipping etc). Why would people go to ebay? Is it for international shipping?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably to avoid sales tax and to use PayPal which Apple does not accept. Most eBay sellers in the US refuse to ship international and some won't even ship to Canada. But like I said above, I don't trust how they unlock the phone. We've had folks in our forums report problems with unlocked phones they bought on eBay and Craig's list. Best to buy direct from Apple even if it costs a little more.

Besides, when you give your relatives in Israel that new iPhone in the original box, they'll love it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.