Linking two phones with one computer

Reaction score
Hi all,

So, my wife and I have recently bought new 4s's. we've have a MacBook Pro for a couple of years and I'm trying to really get everything as synched as possible. We share, virtually, everything, so I would like to automate as much of this as possible. BUT, there are a few things that are a bit different. i.e., I don't want to just synch EVERYTHING.

First, we want to share all of our apps. This is working fine so far.

Second, we want to be able to synch our calendars together. I haven't set up separate calendars for us, but her phone (when I synch with the computer) pulls AND pushes it seems. Both events created on the computer and events created on her phone are shared. BUT, when I synch my phone, only events I have created on my phone are pushed to the computer. Does that make sense to anybody?

Third, I want to be able to synch our contacts. Obviously, most of the contacts we ADD are created on the phone. But I also have a pretty extensive contacts list from our old phones that were pulled to the computer. I want to, as I edit them, have the old contacts pushed to our phones AND have new contacts created on our phones pushed to the computer. Does that seem feasible? And if so, how?

I feel like there are other quirks that have left me sleepless...but this is a good start. That whole contacts question is the real bugger.

Thanks for your help folks!

C

chas_m

First, we want to share all of our apps. This is working fine so far.

As long as you both use the same iTunes account, this won't be an issue.

As for the rest, I think using the same iCloud account for everything to do with syncing would fix that issue. Your wife can add a separate email address (iCloud or some other service) just for email if she wants her own email account, but all the syncing should be done over the same iCloud account on all your devices that you want this to happen on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Although my wife and I have our own Apple IDs we share calendars and contacts by simply having a new joint Apple ID and using that on both phones and our iMac and MacBook for syncing.

One small side effect is with Find My Phone as I can use my Phone or iMac to check whether she has left work yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.