Mac is getting slower and slower

Neb

Reaction score
Hello there

My Macbook Pro (10.6.8) is getting slower and slower and I do not know why. So I wondered if there is a really good program to find out if there is a virus or something similar on my mac (freeware), or another possibility to solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Is that happening in general or in a specific application ?

Have a look at the activity monitor, select " all processes " in the top right hand corner and sort by CPU.
Maybe there is a process running that is eating your CPU cycles.

You could also run a maintenance tool and clean up caches and such. Onyx is a great tool and is used by many on the forum .... do a search for Onyx and you will get a lot of info.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
N

Neb

Reaction score
I started Onyx and I think the problem is now identified but not solved: the HD seems to be kind of broken. SO it says that I have to repair it by using the installation-disc which I do not have. Is there another possibility to repair the HD?

C

chas_m

Depending on what you mean by "broken," I'd just do a backup and buy a new hard drive for that machine. Why take the risk with important data?

If you want to take the chance, McBie's suggestion of OnyX is free and may help. Can't hurt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.