Working off an External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" iMac 2.5GHz Core i5
Hi, I have the 2011 iMac, it's the base model configured with a 500GB Hard Drive. I am filling it up rather quickly as I have a large iTunes library and an ever growing photo library as I'm rather snap happy.
I thought about buying a 1/2TB external hard drive to work off of and just use my iMac's HDD as a place to install software & apps.
Is it possible to have my iTunes library & Aperture library on an external HDD and work from this?
I've been researching and would Firewire 800 be a workable option? I understand that it's an external HDD but will I be left waiting when I double click to play a song, or when I open Aperture and do some photo editing?

This takes me onto my last question:
Can I then also buy another large capacity USB Hard Drive to back up the whole lot?

If anyone can assist me it would be much appreciated.
Kind regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FW 800 would be more workable then a USB drive, I've used a networked drive to work on photos using Ps and Lr. It just takes some time. If you want full speed.. go thunderbolt.

and yes, you can back everything up to a USB drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM v10.7.2
Pretty much everything the guy said above, FW would definitely be the better option since most Apple products just simply started out using (and still do sometimes use) FW connectivity.

I use a USB connector for my 1 TB external though and see no difficulty using it, so if it really comes down to just USBs you know now that it's really not a problem using those either.

Here's a decent capacity flashdrive too since that's also what you're looking for
Newegg.com - Team SR1 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Red) Model TG032GSR1R3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.