Keyboard Function Buttons

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here.

I would really appreciate some assistance with my keyboard settings if anyone could help?

I have a macbook from 2008, bought in the Netherlands. It's QWERTY and the function keys are as follows:
F1 - Brightness down
F2 - Brightness up
F3 - Expose
F4 - Dashboard
F5 -
F6 -
F7 - Rewind
F8 - Play/Pause
F9 - Fast Forward
F10 - Mute
F11 - Volume Down
F12 - Volume Up

So, this is the setup I am used to and have been using since I bought the Macbook. Yesterday I bought an Apple Wireless Keyboard (QWERTY) with exactly the same layout for all the function buttons, it connects fine (I'm typing with it now), however the function keys respond differently.
For example, F12 opens the dashboard and F9 opens Expose.

I have my settings in International on US and I never had a problem before, so I tried changing it to Dutch (where I bought the Macbook) but the problem still persists. In fact now that I explored a bit I find that the onscreen Keyboard Viewer also has a different Function button layout from the Macbook itself, no matter which country input I choose.

If anyone could help me put my settings for the Keyboard Viewer and Wireless Keyboard to be the same as the actual Macbook's layout, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Jason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
content

The function keys on the apple keyboards are double function keys, they are the F1, F2 .etc keys when pressed in combination with the fn key, and they are the Brightness down/up .etc keys when pressed without the fn key.
The only thing I can think of is that a checkbox in the System Preferences may be checked.
Go to System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard, and make sure that "Use all F1,F2 .etc keys as standard function keys" is unchecked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.