*RATE* your External HD

Reaction score
Hi All,

We already have a thread recommending HDs, but some important info is missing which will really help people decide what to buy.

How about:

- Name and type of HD
- The amount of daily/weekly usage
- Approx. price at time of purchase, and where you bought it
- Computer set-up

**And most importantly**

- When did you buy it?
- How long has your drive lasted?

Finally, give it a rating out of 10!

Please feel free to add any other key points for other people to consider when buying or upgrading their current HD.

----------

My current HD:

Maxtor 80GB OneTouch IV Mini 2.5" 5400rpm 8MB Cache External Hard Disk Drive 2 year manufacturer's warranty

One weekly backup

£60 PC World

Using it on a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 2GB

Bought November 2007

Still working well after 8 months

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :Angry: :Angry: :Angry:
(Would have given it more points but it was expensive for the size, however it is portable and so requiries no external power supply other than the USB to computer lead)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WD 200GB USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. 2.5+ years old. Never turned off. Never an issue. Fast (with Firewire 400) and very reliable. $180 at the time.

Seagate 200GB Also USB 2.0 and Firewire 400. Never an issue. Bought it at least 2 years ago now. Used as a Time Machine backup drive for Intel Mac Mini and also storage of my Videos I am editing. $200 at the time I purchased it.

Simpletech 120GB 2.5" USB 2.0 External for iBook. 1 year old now. Time Machine Backups for iBook and storage of music and videos I am editing. So far 100% reliable. $89.00 on sale.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.