Java deleted from my iBook..now what?

Reaction score
Hi there!
Over the weekend a friend was using my iBook.Apparently he had probs accessing a site and thought it was java related, so deleted the java files I had, planning on downloading it again, but failed to do so.He is not familair at all with macs, and while I have the ibook and enjoy using it,I dont know enough tech stuff to mess around with such programs.
When I try to download java I get a message saying I cannot install it on this volume.This volume contains a newer version of JAva 1.5
The selected destination is the MacIntosh HD.
I dont even know how I would change the destination.

Where do I even begin??

Thanks so much for your help, time, and patience with a newbie.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will need to remove the java receipt from the receipt folder. I don't remember where the folder is located. Once you remove the java receipt, you will be able to re-install the java application.

Side note: the receipt folder is used to keep track of what software is loaded on your system and is used when you repair permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Are you sure you deleted your Java files? It would seem rather extreme (not to mention just plain rude and daft) of your friend to have actually deleted system files from a computer that wasn't even his. Whatever the case, it would be the last time I let him borrow it (or anything) were it I in your shoes.
Anyway....
What version of OS X are you running? That would be a good measure of letting us know what version of Java should be on the machine.
Open terminal and type (without the quotes), "java -version".
That should bring up some text and tell you your Java version that is currently installed. It will also tell us if the Java was actually deleted or not.

If nothing comes up, then post back and we can try to help you from there.

:black:

OP
A
Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Are you sure you deleted your Java files? It would seem rather extreme (not to mention just plain rude and daft) of your friend to have actually deleted system files from a computer that wasn't even his. Whatever the case, it would be the last time I let him borrow it (or anything) were it I in your shoes.
Anyway....
What version of OS X are you running? That would be a good measure of letting us know what version of Java should be on the machine.
Open terminal and type (without the quotes), "java -version".
That should bring up some text and tell you your Java version that is currently installed. It will also tell us if the Java was actually deleted or not.

If nothing comes up, then post back and we can try to help you from there.

Thanks for the fast replies!
I can express how angry I was with him for doing this. I wouldnt dare delete anything on here until i educate myself more on macs.Last time I leave the ibook out when hes dogsitting! He said the reason why he did it was because he kept getting some java heap space error on cams from jmeeting.Whatver!
ANyhow...
Im running OS X 10.4.8.
When I opened terminal and typed java-version, all that came up was 'command not found'

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh ans I checked the receipts, and I do ahve a J2SE50 Release3.pkg and a J2SE50 Release4. pkg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
amaciam said:
When I opened terminal and typed java-version, all that came up was 'command not found'
Just to clarify, there is a space between "java" and "-version"

OP
A
Reaction score
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

Yep, was missing the space! Sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It would seem to me that your java installation should be fine. I'm not sure what your friend "deleted", but I am guessing it is okay.
Are you having trouble with java based things? If not, then you are probably good to go.
If you are having difficulties, then some other measures might be in order.

Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about. :black:

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks so much D3

I havent run into a probs...BUT when i go to Jmeeting(noisey to see what it was about), I do get a message that Java is unavailabe :The page “JMeeting.com” attempted to load Java content, but Java is unavailable or not installed.

When i try to install the version they have on the page for Macs, I get that error message saying I cannot install it on this volume.This volume contains a newer version of JAva 1.5
The selected destination is the MacIntosh HD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
where on JMeeting.com does it do this? Right when you open that first page or do you have to click on a link? Is this in Safari by the way?

OP
A
Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
where on JMeeting.com does it do this? Right when you open that first page or do you have to click on a link? Is this in Safari by the way?

It does this after I log in,...and yes its Safari..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I made an account and activated it and logged in and got no java message. I am using the latest Safari and OSX.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hmm thats weird then...

Maybe I need the JSE5 version of java...Ill try installing again, but so far every time Ive tried , I gotten that same message "this volume contains a newer version of java".
I dont see any java files on my computer, yet when I searched in terminal, java showed up.

Thanks DTravis for taking the time to make an account over at JMeeting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook; G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; 30 gig; Combo Drive; Radeon 9200
try clearing out your java cache and your safari cache then try it again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.