wont boot after update

Reaction score
I left for work and left my mac on. When I returned from work there were 2 updates available. Java and security updates. I installed both restarted, the mac went through the install process then restarted again. This is when the problem begins. I got the white screen with the Apple logo and the swirling gear and it wouldn't boot. So I turned the mac off restarted it and went to Boot camp and logged on to Vista. Boot camp gives me no problems but, my mac will not read its hard drive. I tried using disk Utility and it doesn't read the hard drive, tried using safe mode but since theres no hard drive its no good. I read through some forum that my HDD my be going bad, but if it is how is it that I'm able to use boot camp with no problem. Disk Utility says there is a hard drive. I just cant repair it cause the buttons are gray'd out. Any ideas as to whats going on? or how I might be able to fix this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like OS X may have suffered from "brain damage" during the update.

Try this: Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Also this: Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

The hard drive is probably OK since Windows is still working.

BTW, you can not repair a hard drive using Disk Utility when the drive is mounted. In order to use the repair function from Disk Utility, the drive will have to be dismounted first. The easy way to do that is to boot the machine with your original install media and run Disk Utility verify\repair that way.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.