• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What mac should I get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I know, I know...I had this conversation when my powerbook got gaffed up. However I didn't know my dad would be having his girlfriend's child moving in here which leaves me the odd man out. Yes I could spend $900 and get an Apple certified refurbished macbook, but honestly I do not think that would be a good idea considering I make about $100 a week and I don't want to leave owing my dad 600 some odd dollars....ESPECIALLY when he finds out I'm moving back up north to live with my mother, he HATES my mom...haha
So what do I use a laptop for? The two most processor-heavy applications I use are the AIM chatrooms (Yeah I'm not going to lie, I'm a chatroom junkie. I loved being on that built in iSight camera so I could show off my awesome drumming skills in chatrooms...I'm lame I know :[ ) and I love playing classic nintendo games on virtual NES. My 1.67 GHz powerbook lagged a little bit in chatrooms and lagged horribly playing virtual NES games because I believe it was the fact it only had 1GB of RAM. The macbook had no problem (It was 2GHz with 2GB of RAM) playing Virtual NES and being in AIM chatrooms.
For some reason I love the 1.42GHz iBooks and I'm realllllyyyy leaning towards one, even though you can only max out the RAM to 1.5GB and they still hold a decent resale value at about $400. Then again the same goes for a 1.67GHz G4 powerbook, they are holding their value around there as well. But wouldn't it be more logical to get something like that (I'm going to put $200 down on one so I'd only owe my dad $200) instead of getting a macbook that would cost me $800 and me owing him $500? It makes sense to me because when I have a decent job up north in Rhode Island, I can always get the mac I want!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I go back and forth between my Mom's and my Dad's, since I'm always in one place or the other, I bought a MacBook so I could bring it from place to place with me, including friends houses and school. Sounds like you're a pretty busy person, so I'd recommend MacBook for you. MBP would be good, but you said you can't really afford it so that leaves it out of the question. Mac Mini would work, but they're not as portable, and they have small HD and RAM. MB is probably best for you, just remember you're going to need enough for the warranty and a mouse too. Plus you're probably going to want additional software as well. Mine came to $2,200 total.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.