Jailbreaking now permissible for discussion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
As of Monday, July 26th the US Library of Congress expanded it's exemption of the DMCA to include not only unlocking of phones, but also the process of jailbreaking them to install applications not approved by Apple.

Due to this recent change of events, we will now allow discussion of jailbreaking your iPhone.

But do bear in mind, it still is technically against the EULA to do so and you potentially void your warranty with Apple. Also, don't be surprised if many responses to issues you may be having are replied to with "reinstall the valid firmware from Apple."

Official Library of Congress ruling:
Statement of the Librarian of Congress Relating to Section 1201 Rulemaking

TUAW Story:
Library of Congress rules in favor of jailbreaking

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
July 26th schweb?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
sweet...

(although i'm not so sure i will JB my iPhone 4.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Jailbreaking no longer against the DMCA

I know that we aren't supposed to discuss jailbreaking as it breaks copyright protections in the DMCA. That being said there are reports that new rules now allow jailbreaking. That is - it is legal to jailbreak under copyright law - but it still voids your warranty.

Now legal in the U.S.: Jailbreaking your iPhone, ripping a DVD for educational purposes

AppleInsider | US government legalizes iPhone 'jailbreaking,' unlocking

Govt.-Approved iPhone Jailbreaking Won't Help Users - PCWorld

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, this is absolutely amazing news!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 3.06 4 GB
Now that Jailbreaking is legal, will it still be called jailbreaking?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Now that Jailbreaking is legal, will it still be called jailbreaking?

Probably. Your breaking your phone free from the jail that Apple has it in. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Good news indeed. Even if you don't want to jailbreak you are at least able to make the choice to do so, Without worrying about committing a crime.

Reaction score
Don't think the rules force apple to support iPhones that have been jail broken. The rules simply make it officially legal to jail break an iPhone.

And of course in the U.S. Where will you go for a different carrier. Verizon? No. T-mobile? Maybe if the coverage doesn't suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Don't think the rules force apple to support iPhones that have been jail broken. The rules simply make it officially legal to jail break an iPhone.

And of course in the U.S. Where will you go for a different carrier. Verizon? No. T-mobile? Maybe if the coverage doesn't suck.

Of course Apple doesn't have to support it, As for the unlocking that has always been legal I think your confusing the two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
NOW i'll shut up....

C

chas_m

Jailbreaking is (largely) overrated, but you had to jailbreak to unlock (if your iPhone was locked). Now that jailbreaking is legal, unlocking is therefore also legal.

With these changes, the US moves closer to what the law is already in Canada, ie more fair and reasonable when it comes to personal use.

PS. iPhones will be sold here starting July 30th, *factory unlocked* and with at least three carriers for options.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
PS. iPhones will be sold here starting July 30th, *factory unlocked* and with at least three carriers for options.
Did you see the prices? I agree with this Engadget article - most will go with a contract but it's nice to have the option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Jailbreaking is (largely) overrated, but you had to jailbreak to unlock (if your iPhone was locked). Now that jailbreaking is legal, unlocking is therefore also legal.

I agree that jailbreaking is overrated. I'm going to sell my 8 gig 3G as soon as I get the iPhone 4, so I knew I wanted to jailbreak and unlock it. I went ahead and jailbroke it to satisfy curiosity and I'm largely unimpressed. The only really cool thing about jailbreaking is the $20 app "MyWi" that turns your phone into a mobile hotspot. It comes with a 10-day free trial and it works pretty well.

Perhaps I just haven't done enough research to uncover everything jailbreaking allows.

Reaction score
I think this is great! The only thing is, is that i dont live in the US does this still apply as i live in the UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think this is great! The only thing is, is that i dont live in the US does this still apply as i live in the UK?

I think I misunderstood the question.

If you're asking "Does this mean it is ok to discuss on these forums even though I don't live in the U.S.?" Then "Yes."

For a second, I thought you were asking if that meant it was now legal in the U.K. (I don't really know what the law is in the U.K. on jailbreaking) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

With these changes, the US moves closer to what the law is already in Canada, ie more fair and reasonable when it comes to personal use.

Right, It's so largely over rated, Yet millions of people all over the world still do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. Defeating a lawfully obtained DVD’s encryption for the sole purpose of short, fair use in an educational setting or for criticism

I think that is the best part of the updated ruling :)

C

chas_m

I agree that jailbreaking is overrated.

<snip>

Perhaps I just haven't done enough research to uncover everything jailbreaking allows.

In my research there's perhaps a half-dozen apps of interest. A2DP for example enabled stereo bluetooth on my 2G. ScreenSplitr is incredibly handy for iPhone demos. There may be a few more, but basically unless you're really REALLY into themes and wallpapers (I'm not), or need those specific good apps (really few and far between), yeah its overrated.

Unlocking, however, was vital for me. I travel between countries fairly often and need to be able to use the same phone in all of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.