Printing problems with Canonprinter

Reaction score
I have a canon MP500 in a network.

When I print from the web I get good printouts. But printing Pages documents or Word documents gets me all blank pages.
When connected direct thru USB I have the same problem, so not a network issue.

what can be the problem?
Peterwillem

OP
P
Reaction score
More info about the problem and what I have done so far:
Installed the latest Canon drivers for the Mac.
Checked the FontBook.app. for fonts causing problems, none found.
Printed from the Font Book archive according to the help instructions, but again a blank sheet came out of the printer.

I tried printing via my wife's little HP printer, there were no problems there.
So this points to the Canon printer. But how come that printing from the web works, and copying documents works?

peterwillem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Have you connected the Canon to another Mac computer (if feasible)? I suspect a System Permissions problem. But how web text prints but not docs from within the Mac itself is a mystery.

As a meantime measure, repair Permissions, preferably using OnyX Titanium's Software • Download for your present OS version (which is???).

Next, boot from your Install Disk 1, open Disk Utility, and run a hardware check (First Aid). Leave the printer connected and switched on whilst doing so.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thx,
I checked/repaired the hd with disk utilities on disk permissions. It was ok. I have the same problem with my Macbook pro and even with my netbook which runs on windows 7.
So I think it is the canon printer. But have no idea where in the printer the problem lies.
Installed latest drivers.

peterwillem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like something is not set correctly in your Printer sharing preferences.

Open System Preferences, Print & Fax. Highlight your Canon MP500 and first make sure you've checked off the sharing box. "Share this printer on the network"

Now click on the sharing preferences tab. Check off the appropriate boxes for sharing = Printer, Scanner, etc. Under Users, it should say: "Everyone Can Print" If it doesn't say that, click the down arrow and select "Can Print".

Let us know.

OP
P
Reaction score
It sounds like something is not set correctly in your Printer sharing preferences.

Open System Preferences, Print & Fax. Highlight your Canon MP500 and first make sure you've checked off the sharing box. "Share this printer on the network"

Now click on the sharing preferences tab. Check off the appropriate boxes for sharing = Printer, Scanner, etc. Under Users, it should say: "Everyone Can Print" If it doesn't say that, click the down arrow and select "Can Print".

Let us know.

Thank you,
all was already set as mentioned by you above.
Meanwhile I have found out that I can use the Canon, but only when printing in collars.No black or grayed printing, then I get blank pages. What the reason for that is , beats me. I like to know that.
Right now I am using an other printer in the network, which works fine.
So the settings in the Mac are ok:).

peterwillem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Down to method of last resort - contact Canon. I believe they have a good support service.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.