Firefox windows will not close

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just switched to Mac in August and I'm still getting used to a few things.

I prefer Firefox over Safari, but I've been having a problem with it. I have 2 Firefox windows open that I cannot access or close. I can see the windows in Expose, but when I click on the windows, they will not open, so I can't close them. It's really driving me nuts!!

I'm on a MacBook running 10.5.8. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
- Tiffany

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Control-click or right click on the Firefox icon in the Dock and choose Quit.

Did those "ghost" windows disappear?

OP
T
Reaction score
Nope, I tried that long ago, the "ghost" windows still don't disappear even if I Quit or Force Quit Firefox, or if I restart my computer.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking uninstalling and re-installing Firefox will solve the problem, but I'm hesitant to do that because I don't want to loose all of my bookmarks (I'm in law school so some of them are quite important).

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What else have you tried that you haven't mentioned? I'd rather not suggest things you've already tried.

If you remove Firefox, export your bookmarks first, then import them into Safari for safekeeping.

Reaction score
I'm actually having the same problem... I tried deleting and then redownloading firefox, but the start window still refuses to be coaxed out of expose. You can kind of ignore the problem just by choosing "New Window", as this second one pops up fine. But that original window still lurks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.