Running 3 programs and almost no RAM left?

Reaction score
I'm running Safari, Word, and Activity Monitor right now, and I have 115MB free.......... Is that normal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a screenshot of the Activity Monitor and post it here to this same thread so we can see what's going on with your memory. We'll also need to know how much memory you have installed and what year model MBP machine you have.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
how much inactive RAM do you have? How long has your machine been turned on? OS X keeps things stored in RAM so it can run apps you have been using commonly/most often more quickly. It will rewrite things to RAM as needed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
DarkestRitual is on the right path with this one. OS X allocates and uses memory in a different way than you may be used too. Please do as chscag has asked and post back a picture of Activity Monitor when you experience this deficiency of RAM.

To make the screenshot easier, simply push Shift-Command-4 and when you see the cursor become a crosshair, simply push the spacebar. Now, hover over AM and click. Picture will be on your desktop. (This was in case you were unfamiliar with this method).

OP
W
Reaction score
Here's what Activity Monitor looks like right now.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 26

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
First off, this article would be a good read. This is a good one too. I hope those make your understanding of memory management in OS X a little more clear.

In that picture, you have ~30MB free, ~200MB wired (being used by OS X), ~1GB active (in use by applications) and ~530MB inactive (not really in use but will be used if a previously open application wants it's memory back). If you run out of free memory, memory from the inactive figure will be used.

Inactive memory, while looking like it consumes more memory is quite helpful. For instance, let's do an experiment. Open an application that you haven't opened since you last boot. Make a mental note of how quickly it opens. Now, quit it completely and re-open it. Notice how much faster it opens? To quote the second article in its discussion about inactive memory: "...the idea being that if you opened an application you are somewhat likely to do so again and if the memory is still labeled, the application can start very quickly".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2009 Unibody 13" MBP 2.23ghz 4gb Crucial 500gb 7200rpm Seagate / 32 2nd Gen Itouch
Have similar question!

Can someone who knows about normal ram usage look at my activity monitor screen shot and tell me if it looks normal.
I am about to upgrade to 4gb next week as I use iMovie quite a bit and it is extremely sluggish, even with everything closed.

Screen shot 2009-10-12 at 1.02.46 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Can someone who knows about normal ram usage look at my activity monitor screen shot and tell me if it looks normal.
I am about to upgrade to 4gb next week as I use iMovie quite a bit and it is extremely sluggish, even with everything closed.
Looks normal to me.

It also looks like a 4 GB upgrade would be overkill for you, since you aren't using all of what you have now.
Combining your Inactive and Free, you have 25% of you total RAM available for use.
Adding more won't make any significant improvement if you still have 25% available of what you have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2009 Unibody 13" MBP 2.23ghz 4gb Crucial 500gb 7200rpm Seagate / 32 2nd Gen Itouch
hmm, thanks d3v1l80y.

then i wonder why it takes imovie so long to do things. i do have a lot of movies on there but that shouldn't matter once they're loaded right? i mean, i get the rainbow circle whenever i do just about anything and if it's not the circle it at least just waits almost five seconds after a command to do anything. i know i don't have a mac pro but i thought apple would at least make software that works with even some of the lower end hardware...
should i reinstall ilife? have any of you heard of imovie being extremely slow and sluggish. imovie has even crashed on me about 5 times in the two weeks i've owned this mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.