how to delete my personal info before I sell my imac

Reaction score
does anyone know how to delete my personal info and files before I sell or donate my imac? I have both OSX and OS9. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The best thing to do would be to start from the OSX install disk, open Disk Utility, erase the HD and then reinstall OSX. That way you can be sure that all your data will be safely gone.

How to Erase a Macintosh Hard Drive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Has nothing to do with networking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If you want the machine to run OS9 afterwards, I think this is the way it should work.
1. Boot from the OS 9 disk, go to the Utilities folder and launch Drive Setup Utility.
2. Go to the Functions menu and select Initialization Options (initialization is the same as formatting).
3. Select Zero All Data and click OK.
4. Click Custom Setup, select Mac OS Extended as the format (aka HFS Plus) and click OK.
5. Click Initialize and be patient; the process takes some time.
6. Quit Drive Setup Utility and proceed with the installation to install OS9 again.
Erasing ancient iMac hard drive - MacFixIt Forums

If you want to install OSX though, you can just use the OSX install disk.

OP
A
Reaction score
thank you

thank you all for such quick and relevant information. I'll give the ideas a try!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If it is an iMac with both OS 9 and OS X it probably has 10.0 or 10.1. Finding a set of CDs with Panther 10.3 and installing that would make it much more user friendly for new owner.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.