Is there an app that allows both 3G & wireless signal to work at the same time?

Reaction score
When you connect your iPhone to a wireless router, the 3G network gets disabled automatically. Does anyone know of an app or a hack that enables both connections to work at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It's still connected 3G because how will you receive calls? Are you trying to achieve higher speeds by having them both transmitting data at the same time? Not sure that is possible.

OP
A
Reaction score
No. OK, I'll try to explain why I asked.

Since tethering was disabled, I've been trying to come up with an alternative way to connect to my iPhone's 3G network thru my Mac, which by the way has no internet. I've attempted to connect a wireless router to the 3G so it would use the iPhone's static IP to connect wirelessly to the Mac. In other words, since I am no longer able to connect the iPhone and Mac directly to establish a shared network, I was trying to get the router to act as "the middle man", that way the iPhone and Mac could possibly tether via the router. But for me to even see if this could work, I need both the wireless signal and the 3G working on the iPhone at the same time. Since that's not possible by default, I was wondering if there's some sort of app or a hack/tweak that enables both to work. I honestly don't know why anyone would see the use in making them not override eachother, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You won't be able to get the router to act as the middle man because the phone would have to tether to the router (vice your Mac) for this to happen. Without tethering enabled, this won't work. Actually, even WITH tethering enabled, I'm not sure it would work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah I highly doubted it would work anyway. Oh well, at least I can't say I didn't try! Now the only thing left to do is wait for the 3.1 jailbreak, and hope that they can find a way to re-enable unauthorized tethering somehow.

Can't wait for those headlines "Tethering now available on 3.1 through a simple hack" :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
At some point your service provider (presumably AT&T) will notice the higher volume even if you hack it. After that, you're at their mercy. Again, your better off just sucking it up and paying for internet service.

On a side note, although I don't know about the legality of it now, once tethering is officially supported doing it without paying for it will be against the TOS for your provider and technically illegal. As such, the following Forum Guideline will apply:

MF Community Guidelines said:
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

If you plan on sticking around here, I'd go look at the guidelines, I think you might want to understand what type of community this is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.