powerbook upgrades

O

octohunter

When I bought my 12" powerbook G4 I was told the only thing I can upgrade is the ram. Is this true? I highly doubt it. On my old PC notebooks I found you can dive right in and tweek everything. If this is the same case, where is the best place to buy upgrade parts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Nope its all soldered except the ram

OP
T

tariq

you can also upgrade the hard drive, which will void the warranty if not installed by an apple service tech.

OP
O

octohunter

Thanks. That's good to know. When I bought this machine I couldn't afford the HD upgrade as I needed extra ram to run AutoCAD and virtual PC (yeah, I know it's horrible but it's better than sitting in front of a Dell all day). Maybe some day I can swap out the HD.

Is there anyone who offers a faster HD that would work in my powerbook?

OP
M

mac_noobie

Instead of swapping out the harddrive you might want to try getting an external one. I asked a computer tech guy and he said that you can get solid performance out of a good external harddrive given you connect it through firewire, since firewire gives and steady 400 MB per second and USB wavers. Just an opinion :p.

OP
M

mac_noobie

oh yea external firewire harddrives can get up to 7200 RPM or higher I believe.

OP
L

lar5one

I have a LaCie 80gb where I store most my stuff. The computer hd only includes my system and apps. It works just fine and dandy :D + you can just link up another one through firewire if you like, and *poof* even more storage space.

OP
H

Haylcron

You can also go to macresq.com and get a superdrive (will probably void your warranty like the HD upgrade).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.