CD/DVD problem on a MacBook

tnt

Reaction score
Whenever I insert a CD or DVD into my MacBook all I can hear is the drive spin up then after a few seconds the drive spins down. This is repeated a few times. Eventually, after about 20 seconds the CD or DVD is ejected.

I have a MacBook running 10.4.11.

I tried buying an external DVD drive, in case it was a problem with the internal drive, but this has the same problem - all I can hear is the drive repeatedly spinning up, then stopping, then spinning up over and over again.

I now want to upgrade from 10.4.11 and I will need by CD/DVD for this.

Is this a firmware problem? Should I take it to an Apple Centre?

TNT

P.S. Be assured that I have researched a possible solution to this problem on many occasions but have been unable to find a satisfactory answer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

MacBook optical do have a high failure rate as they are slot loaders rather than the much more reliable tray loaders used in desktops, not the iMac. If the external optical drive is Mac compatible, you did not supply details, the problem could also be with the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.