New Macbook Pro, Having trouble getting photos from old computer

Reaction score
I just upgraded from a 2010 macbook pro to one with new retina display. I have all my old files backed up on an external hard drive, through time machine. I've been told that the new macbook pro has a little less storage then the old one. That being said, when I was setting up my new computer, there is not enough room for ALL my photos from iPhoto. I am willing to delete some of them, but it won't let me pick and choose which photos to access. How can I get around this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd recommend using the Time Machine app on your Mac to locate the iPhoto library (typically in the Pictures folder). Copy the whole library to a new folder on your external drive.

Now open iPhoto holding option as you do. you'll be asked to select a library. Navigate to the library you just copied to your new folder on the external drive. You can now access and use the library in the normal way.

You can choose to export some images etc and then create a n ew library but I'd suggest that running your iPhoto library from the external gives you a solution that means you don't need to delete anything.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I believe I have sorted it out. Appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Glad you've got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.