Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Switching out RAM

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Switching out RAM
    Hey guys I have a quick question, my cousin is selling me his 2008 Macbook Pro and I was curious since he has an extra 8gb RAM card laying around from his iMac if that would be compatable to put into the Macbook? I know its probably a stupid question but i thought it would be worth a shot to see. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Switching out RAM
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,473
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by benjames1285 View Post
    Hey guys I have a quick question, my cousin is selling me his 2008 Macbook Pro and I was curious since he has an extra 8gb RAM card laying around from his iMac if that would be compatable to put into the Macbook? I know its probably a stupid question but i thought it would be worth a shot to see. Thanks!
    Need a lot more information...such as:

    - What MacBook model are we talking about?
    - What ram type was removed from the iMac or what iMac model was it?

    * Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Switching out RAM

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2013
    Posts
    9
    Sure, it is the 2008 Macbook Pro with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 4gb of RAM. And the iMac is from 2010. Need more information?

  4. #4
    Switching out RAM

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2013
    Posts
    9
    MacBook (Early 2008 and Late 2008) - Technical Specifications

    I dont know if this link will help you or not.

  5. #5
    Switching out RAM
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,473
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by benjames1285 View Post
    Sure, it is the 2008 Macbook Pro with a 2.4ghz core 2 duo and 4gb of RAM. And the iMac is from 2010. Need more information?
    Quote Originally Posted by benjames1285 View Post
    MacBook (Early 2008 and Late 2008) - Technical Specifications

    I dont know if this link will help you or not.
    You need to decide which laptop you are talking about. You listed a MacBook Pro and a MacBook. They are different computers.

    Just in case...do you know the cpu type & cpu speed of the iMac?

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Switching out RAM

    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2013
    Posts
    9
    AHHHH I apologize!! I thought I had typed in the pro! lol The 15inch would be the one I am talking about, I just iMessaged my cousin a few minutes ago to find about the exact specs of the iMac and the Pro as well! Again sorry lol

    MacBook Pro (Early 2008 and Late 2008) - Technical Specifications

  7. #7
    Switching out RAM
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,473
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by benjames1285 View Post
    AHHHH I apologize!! I thought I had typed in the pro! lol The 15inch would be the one I am talking about, I just iMessaged my cousin a few minutes ago to find about the exact specs of the iMac and the Pro as well! Again sorry lol
    No problems...thanks for clearing it up.

    Until we get the exact iMac specs...I'm going to tentatively say that the 2008 MacBook Pro cannot use the ram from a 2010 iMac. The MBP used PC2-5300 ram...and the iMac uses PC3-10600 ram.

    A second (and just as important reason)...max. ram for the 2008 MBP is 6gig the has two ram slots. This pretty much means that each slot in the MBP (maximum) can hold a 4gig ram card.

    Thus a single 8gig ram card won't work for three reasons:

    - the 2008 MBP max. ram is 6gig...so an 8gig card won't work
    - the iMac PC3-10600 ram won't work in a computer that uses PC2-5300 ram
    - each ram slot in a 2008 MBP cannot use a ram card larger than 4gig

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 11:07 PM
  2. switching to MBP, will i really need 8gb RAM?
    By nagooyin in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
  3. Switching out Macbook Pro Ram
    By Golffanatic in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 11:16 PM
  4. No switching to spaces when switching application.
    By Santino in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •