Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?

    Member Since
    Jun 20, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?
    Hello there,

    I bought an USB power adapter and USB cable to use on my iPad2. When I was going to plug the first time I've found something odd, it was missing a symbol on the cable, so I started thinking it was fake.

    The cable also says on it's extension: "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China" which I think don't show on the original.

    The power adapter looks oddily coloured and shaped, and is a bit dirty which looks like it was used, the big part looks original, but the small part doesn't. It's also important to mention they opened the box of the power adapter and put the cable inside.

    I uploaded plenty of photos on my dropbox so you guys can take a look: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gbmr10kxzn5i9hz/jIdO1PbMh1

    Please help me find out if these are fake and or used.

    Thank you in advance!

    Regards,

    Davi Duarte

  2. #2
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by daviduarte View Post
    Hello there,

    I bought an USB power adapter and USB cable to use on my iPad2.
    Where did you purchase it from (include the web address if possible)?

    Regarding the "genuineness" of the power adapter & cable. It's only "fake" if the place selling it said it was genuine Apple (exact same item sold in the Apple Store).

    "Fake" is a relative term anyway...since almost any electronic gizmo, gadget, adapter, etc. has plenty of 3rd party folks making them...at greatly reduced prices. So if you bought this adapter & cable at a substantially lower price than Apple sells them for...what do you think...of course it's not the genuine Apple product.

    "Fake" is when someone says they're selling you a genuine Rolex watch...when it really isn't.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?

    Member Since
    Jun 20, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Where did you purchase it from (include the web address if possible)?

    Regarding the "genuineness" of the power adapter & cable. It's only "fake" if the place selling it said it was genuine Apple (exact same item sold in the Apple Store).

    "Fake" is a relative term anyway...since almost any electronic gizmo, gadget, adapter, etc. has plenty of 3rd party folks making them...at greatly reduced prices. So if you bought this adapter & cable at a substantially lower price than Apple sells them for...what do you think...of course it's not the genuine Apple product.

    "Fake" is when someone says they're selling you a genuine Rolex watch...when it really isn't.

    - Nick
    Hello Nick,

    You're right, when I meant fake is that the seller advertised the product as 100% original and genuine Apple product, but it isn't. I bought it here: Carregador Original Apple Charger Dock 10w + Usb Ipad 1 2 3 - R$ 64,99 no MercadoLivre

    It is a similar to ebay here on Brazil, the odd thing is that like 40 ppl bought the same adapter and gave positive feedback to the seller, that's why I bought it there, the price isn't greatly reduced, they also seel non original ones for much less. It is fairly common not buying on Brazil's apple store because taxation makes things double or even triple their prices compared to the US Apple store.

    But with that in mind, this product on the photos looks original?

    Thank you very much,

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,502
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by daviduarte View Post
    You're right, when I meant fake is that the seller advertised the product as 100% original and genuine Apple product, but it isn't.

    It is a similar to ebay here on Brazil, the odd thing is that like 40 ppl bought the same adapter and gave positive feedback to the seller, that's why I bought it there, the price isn't greatly reduced, they also seel non original ones for much less. It is fairly common not buying on Brazil's apple store because taxation makes things double or even triple their prices compared to the US Apple store.

    But with that in mind, this product on the photos looks original?

    Thank you very much,

    Regards,
    There are so many sellers selling these sort of items...and many times they make claims that are not correct.

    Unless this person is a authorized Apple retailer/reseller...or somehow got hold of genuine Apple products...I kind of doubt that these adapters are genuine. Anything can be copied...even the printing on them that says. "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China".

    Plus what you mentioned about the color, shape, dirty, and opening the box to put the USB cable in...would also lead me to believe that this is not a genuine (brand new) Apple product.

    This is not to say that the items won't perform just as well as genuine Apple products (I'm assuming everything is working ok...since you didn't mention that they don't work). They may work & be just as durable as Apple products.

    If you're not happy with the items...I guess you could return them (assuming the seller accepts returns). Of course return shipping costs may be expensive...and make it not worth while.

    But if everything is working fine...maybe just keep them...and be more careful next time (if you prefer genuine Apple items).

    - Nick

    p.s. Keep in mind. Genuine Apple items don't necessarily mean that something is better than another product. Quality Control standards may be higher for the Apple items...but "copied products" could be made from the same materials...maybe even in the same factory. The benefit of genuine Apple items is...if it fails for some reason (manufacturing defects)...Apple will be more likely to allow you to exchange it for a new working item.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?

    Member Since
    Jun 20, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    There are so many sellers selling these sort of items...and many times they make claims that are not correct.

    Unless this person is a authorized Apple retailer/reseller...or somehow got hold of genuine Apple products...I kind of doubt that these adapters are genuine. Anything can be copied...even the printing on them that says. "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China".

    Plus what you mentioned about the color, shape, dirty, and opening the box to put the USB cable in...would also lead me to believe that this is not a genuine (brand new) Apple product.

    This is not to say that the items won't perform just as well as genuine Apple products (I'm assuming everything is working ok...since you didn't mention that they don't work). They may work & be just as durable as Apple products.

    If you're not happy with the items...I guess you could return them (assuming the seller accepts returns). Of course return shipping costs may be expensive...and make it not worth while.

    But if everything is working fine...maybe just keep them...and be more careful next time (if you prefer genuine Apple items).

    - Nick

    p.s. Keep in mind. Genuine Apple items don't necessarily mean that something is better than another product. Quality Control standards may be higher for the Apple items...but "copied products" could be made from the same materials...maybe even in the same factory. The benefit of genuine Apple items is...if it fails for some reason (manufacturing defects)...Apple will be more likely to allow you to exchange it for a new working item.
    Thank you very much Nick,

    You're right, I think they are probably not geniune, or at least some part of it. And looks used. My concern is that I paid for the original and got a parallel one. I will try to contact the seller to get a refund, they are working but it's not what I paid for, if I wanted a 3rd part one I could've get one for 1/3 of the price I've paid.

    Thank you for attention, your information is very much appreciated!

    Regards,

    Davi Duarte

  6. #6
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?
    MacTweak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Thatīs looks fake to me

    Refund, thats why i pay with paypal. Take your money back with a paypal dispute!

  7. #7
    Is my power adapter and USB cable fake?

    Member Since
    Jun 20, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTweak View Post
    Thatīs looks fake to me

    Refund, thats why i pay with paypal. Take your money back with a paypal dispute!
    Too bad it was not with paypal, but I am still thinking if I take this as a lesson or try to get a refund...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MagSafe power adapter with in-genuine AC cable?
    By jack.tuck in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
  2. Apple exploring universal power adapter, data/charge cable for iPhone & Mac
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:03 AM
  3. USB Power Adapter - Recall
    By ImBatman in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
  4. Power Adapter Extension cable - where from?
    By bence8810 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •