Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Posts
    97
    Specs:
    iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    I have Sprint phone service and want to get an updated phone. I'd like an iPhone but I've got some service bonuses with Sprint which makes the pricing right for me.

    I really just started looking, coming from a basic phone, I'm considering a...
    Blackberry Tour, or Blackberry Curve 8330
    HTC Hero
    Samsung Instinct HD

    I'd really like the ability to sync the phones calendar with iCal on my Mac. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'll have phone service, texting, internet/email, so basically everything with 1400 minutes for $69, but will need to redo my plan for two years. Would like to send work related pictures to co-workers.

  2. #2
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,183
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    The best suggestion I can give you is look for a phone that has the features you wish - but, also comes with software to use with OS X, or at the least can be downloaded from the phone maker's web site.

    Regards.

  3. #3
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Posts
    97
    Specs:
    iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
    Well from my searching so far it looks like the HTC Hero is not one to sync with a Mac: HTC - Search - mac

    I'm leaning toward the Blackberry with what I've researched so far and it's abiltiy to sync with Macs, but would rather have the larger screen of the touch screen phone.

  4. #4
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,183
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    My son uses his Blackberry to sync with his iMac but his carrier is not Sprint. I believe he's using Verizon but it shouldn't matter since the phone is basically the same. As I said above, go with the phone that has the best Mac support.

    Regards.

  5. #5
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    I would love to get my hands on that HTC Hero. Android is amazing and the UI on the Hero is wonderful.

    Android deals with Google. This is how I have my phone set up and I still have my calendars sync'd up nicely.

    My G1 calendar syncs with the Google Calendar automatically. So any edits on the phone or online is synced. I made my iCal "subscribe" to my Google Calendars. You can set how often you want it to pull the data from Google. It is read only on the iCal but it isn't a big problem because i can just open up Google Calendar in my browser.

    I hope that makes sense. It works out perfect for me.

    EDIT: I was looking in the iCal preferences right now and I have the option of syncing with my Google Calendars. Enter the Google Account information and all data is now showing on my iCal. No need for subscriptions. I would definitely go with the HTC Hero if I was you.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

  6. #6
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Posts
    97
    Specs:
    iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
    Thanks for the input. The Hero does look great. I'll look into those way of connecting the calendar and Google. I don't use Google for anything other than searching at this point. My only emails are my personal IP and at work.

    One very important thing I forgot to mention was the need to sync contact vcards back and forth between the phone and my Mac Address Book and Office 08 for Mac.

  7. #7
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Posts
    97
    Specs:
    iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
    My G1 calendar syncs with the Google Calendar automatically. So any edits on the phone or online is synced. I made my iCal "subscribe" to my Google Calendars. You can set how often you want it to pull the data from Google. It is read only on the iCal but it isn't a big problem because i can just open up Google Calendar in my browser.

    EDIT: I was looking in the iCal preferences right now and I have the option of syncing with my Google Calendars. Enter the Google Account information and all data is now showing on my iCal. No need for subscriptions. I would definitely go with the HTC Hero if I was you.

    I'll have to look into this more. But I am getting that you can't send calendar info both ways. Really what I'd like it for the phone calendar to copy my iCal, because it is in iCal that I currently write everything.

  8. #8
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by g725s View Post
    I'll have to look into this more. But I am getting that you can't send calendar info both ways. Really what I'd like it for the phone calendar to copy my iCal, because it is in iCal that I currently write everything.
    Well with the second method I posted at the end you can send information both ways. Any edits in iCal will be pushed to the HTC Hero calendar.

    As for the Address book, you can do the same method as iCal. Address Book gives you the option of syncing with Google Contacts. This will sync your computer contacts and phone contacts.

    Just think of Google as the cloud. Android depends on Google. So any edits in Calendar and in Contacts gets pushed to Google and your computer grabs that information from the Google "cloud".

    Example: I edit a phone number on my phone. My phone pushes that edit to Google. When I turn on my computer and open up Address Book it grabs that edit from Google.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

  9. #9
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2009
    Posts
    97
    Specs:
    iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric559 View Post
    Well with the second method I posted at the end you can send information both ways. Any edits in iCal will be pushed to the HTC Hero calendar.

    As for the Address book, you can do the same method as iCal. Address Book gives you the option of syncing with Google Contacts. This will sync your computer contacts and phone contacts.

    Just think of Google as the cloud. Android depends on Google. So any edits in Calendar and in Contacts gets pushed to Google and your computer grabs that information from the Google "cloud".

    Example: I edit a phone number on my phone. My phone pushes that edit to Google. When I turn on my computer and open up Address Book it grabs that edit from Google.

    Thanks. I'll look into the HTC Hero more. It is so new the guy at the Sprint store I talked to did not know anything about the methods your talking about.

  10. #10
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by g725s View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into the HTC Hero more. It is so new the guy at the Sprint store I talked to did not know anything about the methods your talking about.
    I just learned them myself too haha. Good thing about Android is that it is open source and on multiple phones. So even though I don't own a Hero device i can still help you with Android questions.

    If you have any more questions feel free to let us know!
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

  11. #11
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,626
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by g725s View Post
    Thanks. I'll look into the HTC Hero more. It is so new the guy at the Sprint store I talked to did not know anything about the methods your talking about.
    I have Sprint and when I got my BB Pearl 6 months ago, the guy at the store didn't know anything about it. They're not very knowledgeable about anything other than the phone they have in their pocket. Idiots -- Sorry for that rant. haha

    BB recently released a Mac-compatible version of their desktop manager application that allows you to sync your BB with your Mac. I've used it. It works ok. *shrug* You can always take a phone home, try it out and return it within a few days if you don't like it. BB has a touch screen phone, ya know. I think it's the Storm? I don't remember.

  12. #12
    What is the best Sprint service phone for syncing with Mac?
    Eric559's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    3,185
    Specs:
    2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    I have Sprint and when I got my BB Pearl 6 months ago, the guy at the store didn't know anything about it. They're not very knowledgeable about anything other than the phone they have in their pocket. Idiots -- Sorry for that rant. haha

    BB recently released a Mac-compatible version of their desktop manager application that allows you to sync your BB with your Mac. I've used it. It works ok. *shrug* You can always take a phone home, try it out and return it within a few days if you don't like it. BB has a touch screen phone, ya know. I think it's the Storm? I don't remember.
    Oh yeah forgot about that new BB DM. Storm isn't released on Sprint yet. Currently only on Verizon unless you get the phone unlocked.
    Member Of The Month for December '08.
    It's only the internet!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Syncing up cell phone with Mac
    By Scoobie Newbie in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 08:51 AM
  2. Syncing a Windows Mobile 6 phone with a Mac.
    By scottwparker in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM
  3. Bluetooth Cell Phone, The Internet And Sprint Pcs
    By section8joe in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 11:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •