Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room

    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2010
    Posts
    3
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room
    All the 30 machines are iMacs running Mac OS X 10.7.3. We just want people from a particular division(not anyone else) only to use them.

    I know in Windows you can using active directory create accounts for the users on a domain to which the machines can authenticate when the users try to log in.

    How do I do it in Mac? I am a newbie to Mac

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room
    Air's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2012
    Location
    West Virgina
    Posts
    109
    Specs:
    See Signature
    Quote Originally Posted by p_s_92 View Post
    All the 30 machines are iMacs running Mac OS X 10.7.3. We just want people from a particular division(not anyone else) only to use them.

    I know in Windows you can using active directory create accounts for the users on a domain to which the machines can authenticate when the users try to log in.

    How do I do it in Mac? I am a newbie to Mac

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ummmmmm,
    All on the same network, or is it a domain
    [Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5

  3. #3
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room
    Air's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2012
    Location
    West Virgina
    Posts
    109
    Specs:
    See Signature
    TYPO!!
    All on the same network, or is it a domain???
    [Main Laptop/Computer] [April 2006] 17" MacBook Pro | 2.33GHz C2D | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 120GB Intel 320 SSD | Lion 10.7.5

  4. #4
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room

    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    TYPO!!
    All on the same network, or is it a domain???
    Yes, they are on same subnet. But, they are standalone. There is no domain.

  5. #5
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room
    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,418
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    You could go old school and use NIS. I dislike NIS for large number of users in large environments, but for a small group of systems and users, it's not bad. Google and man pages are your friend.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  6. #6
    controlling access for 30 Macs in a room

    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2010
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    You could go old school and use NIS. I dislike NIS for large number of users in large environments, but for a small group of systems and users, it's not bad. Google and man pages are your friend.
    Thanks, that is helpful.

    I appreciate your advice and time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best/Largest Chat Room Community for Macs
    By ChunkyZergling in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
  2. 2 Macs on Linksys, 1 Can't Access certain websites
    By timb in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
  3. Remote access for old macs
    By warnerjd in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
  4. Conflict of 2 macs for Internet access via Airport
    By fcourchamp in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 10:27 PM
  5. Two Macs, want to access the same files on each
    By dustonio in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •