Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    iWish's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    Unhappy Apple, please note: Lion Finder window display problem
    I'm running 10.7.3 on my MB Pro. I have all the latest-and-greatest updates. However, this quirk only started to appear with Lion and has appeared in all versions to date. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this problem, which I highly doubt. Why I ask is because it hasn't been addressed yet, so I wonder if Apple listens to user feedback any more.

    Here it is: Whichever Finder window that is active used to pop to the front (or "on top of") of all other windows, but often I find that this is no longer the case.

    Example #1: If I have two windows open and I'm dragging a file from one to another, the dialog box that asks if I want to copy the file often stays buried beneath one/both other windows.

    Example #2: If I go to drag a file from one window to another window hidden/buried under the first one, it used to be that if I held the file to be dragged over the buried window that it would become "active" and thus move to the front, but now this is often not the case.

    Example #3: If I go to cycle through open windows using Cmd ` in order to find a buried window, often the buried window will not move to the top.

    In all these instances, even using Expose to show open windows will not bring the desired window to the front. I was hoping that this bug would be noticed in 10.7.0 and be corrected by now. So either it's a bug or maybe I've got something set up wrong. Somebody enlighten me!

  2. #2
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    iWish's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    Well, over 600 views of this post so far and nobody else telling me they have this same problem. That sucks.

  3. #3
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    Deckyon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 06, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY - USA
    Posts
    1,291
    Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Those views are most likely bots and web crawlers indexing the site. Chill

    If you want apple to read something, post it on their official forums.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

  4. #4
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,395
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I've had this issue as well (quite often in fact). There's not much I can say with regards to a fix but if this happens, you can always grab the file, activate Mission Control and then drag it to the window. It's not a fix but it will have to do for now.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  5. #5
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    iWish's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    If you want apple to read something, post it on their official forums.
    Good idea. Thanks!

  6. #6
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,188
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Not all the views are from M-F members, a lot of them are coming in from search engines or other robots and are looking for answers..

    Having said that, I don't believe I've run into the issues you are running into on Lion, but will play with it a bit tonight and see what I get for results..

    You have to imagine that if it was a serious enough flaw in Lion, Apple would either taken steps to fix it or inform people on how to avoid it..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  7. #7
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    iWish's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 10, 2006
    Posts
    108
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You have to imagine that if it was a serious enough flaw in Lion, Apple would either taken steps to fix it or inform people on how to avoid it..
    I hope that enough do, because it's a very annoying quirk, unless I'm somehow doing something wrong or have a preference set up incorrectly. That's why I'm wondering if I'm indeed the only person out there who has it/has noticed it.

  8. #8
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,188
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by iWish View Post
    I'm running 10.7.3 on my MB Pro. I have all the latest-and-greatest updates. However, this quirk only started to appear with Lion and has appeared in all versions to date. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who has this problem, which I highly doubt. Why I ask is because it hasn't been addressed yet, so I wonder if Apple listens to user feedback any more.

    Here it is: Whichever Finder window that is active used to pop to the front (or "on top of") of all other windows, but often I find that this is no longer the case.

    Example #1: If I have two windows open and I'm dragging a file from one to another, the dialog box that asks if I want to copy the file often stays buried beneath one/both other windows.
    I tried to copy a file between two Finder window by holding down the Option key and didn't get any sort of a dialog box.

    Quote Originally Posted by iWish View Post
    Example #2: If I go to drag a file from one window to another window hidden/buried under the first one, it used to be that if I held the file to be dragged over the buried window that it would become "active" and thus move to the front, but now this is often not the case.
    I opened two Finder windows and partially covered one with another, I then grabbed a file in the active (front) Finder window and dragged it to the Finder window in the back that is partially covered, and that window now began fully visible, if I then just dragged the file back to the original window that is now in the back, it came to the front and so on and so forth.

    Quote Originally Posted by iWish View Post
    Example #3: If I go to cycle through open windows using Cmd ` in order to find a buried window, often the buried window will not move to the top.
    This works for me on both Finder windows and a couple of Chrome windows I tried it with. I usually don't have multiple windows for a single application running, but what little testing I did seemed to indicate and this works fine..
    Quote Originally Posted by iWish View Post
    In all these instances, even using Expose to show open windows will not bring the desired window to the front. I was hoping that this bug would be noticed in 10.7.0 and be corrected by now. So either it's a bug or maybe I've got something set up wrong. Somebody enlighten me!
    Finally, I use Expose to bring windows in the back to the front and that worked as expected too..

    So basically everything from your list works fine for me. I just recently updated to Lion 10.7.3 using the normal updater..

    Now Apple did remove that updater due to bugs that people hand complained about and put the combo updater in place, it might not be a totally bad idea for you to try that update..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  9. #9
    Apple, please note:  Lion Finder window display problem
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,395
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I opened two Finder windows and partially covered one with another, I then grabbed a file in the active (front) Finder window and dragged it to the Finder window in the back that is partially covered, and that window now began fully visible, if I then just dragged the file back to the original window that is now in the back, it came to the front and so on and so forth.
    I get that 95% of the time but once in a while, the Finder window I'm trying to drag content to refuses to get focus. I'd be interested to know if this would happen for you at some point.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. firefox and finder window problem
    By orwell in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Lion replacement for my note taking app
    By bobtomay in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 09:55 AM
  3. New Apple Store window display "floats" MacBook Air
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:29 PM
  4. Problem with Finder window/com.apple.Boot.plist
    By justproblems in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
  5. Finder window path display?
    By kgeier82 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •