Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Question Using printer from linux computer
    I've got a mac mini with lion as OS.
    Printers on the local network here are connected to a computer booted
    into an ubuntu 10.04 linux OS. I am not sure how to access the computer.
    I would welcome URLs to a HOWTO.
    thanks
    tim
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  2. #2
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    On the server (linux), use a browser and go to http://localhost:631
    Go to Printers tab. Copy down the exact queue names of the printers. And now note the IP address of this ubuntu server (right-click on the internet connection icon on the top right bar - connection information.).

    On Mac(s), go to Print & Fax, click Add (+). Select IP printing > IPP.
    In the dialog box, enter queue name and IP address. Select model. For non-postscript printers, you need to use Gutenprint drivers.

    If you don't get it to work, or need help with drivers, come back here.

  3. #3
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    On the server (linux), use a browser and go to http://localhost:631
    Go to Printers tab. Copy down the exact queue names of the printers. And now note the IP address of this ubuntu server (right-click on the internet connection icon on the top right bar - connection information.).
    Good instructions. Actually, since the linux computer is 192.168.1.5
    I just pointed my browser to http://192.168.1.5:631

    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    On Mac(s), go to Print & Fax, click Add (+). Select IP printing > IPP.
    In the dialog box, enter queue name and IP address. Select model. For non-postscript printers, you need to use Gutenprint drivers.
    I choose auto-select and got the following message:
    'The selected printer software isn't from the manufacturer and may not
    let you use all the features of your printer.
    Does that mean that I need Gutenprint drivers?
    If so, where do I get them?
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    If you don't get it to work, or need help with drivers, come back here.
    Hopefully the info above can tell
    you whether I need the Gutenprint.
    thanks
    tim
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  4. #4
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    You need to tell me the printer models. Mac printer drivers aren't as straightforward as Windows drivers. For many non-postscript printers, the manufacturers have created USB-only or Bonjour-only drivers. Apple calls these drivers "monolithic" drivers because they bypass the multiple connection protocols supported by CUPS.

    Gutenprint drivers are open-source drivers included in OS X (and in linux, too).
    You can update Gutenprint from:
    Gutenprint for Mac OS X

  5. #5
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    Forgot to mention - you have another option for driver on clients. Use generic postscript on the clients and the Ubuntu server will do the postscript translation.

  6. #6
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    You need to tell me the printer models.
    For now : HP deskjet 3320 and Canon BJC-240
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Mac printer drivers aren't as straightforward as Windows drivers. For many non-postscript printers, the manufacturers have created USB-only or Bonjour-only drivers. Apple calls these drivers "monolithic" drivers because they bypass the multiple connection protocols supported by CUPS.
    Understood.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Gutenprint drivers are open-source drivers included in OS X (and in linux, too).
    You can update Gutenprint from:
    Gutenprint for Mac OS X
    Thank you.
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  7. #7
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Forgot to mention - you have another option for driver on clients. Use generic postscript on the clients and the Ubuntu server will do the postscript translation.
    I'll try that.
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  8. #8
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    No luck here. I've not been able to find a driver even with gutenprint. I let
    Lion do the selection, it just came up with Generic Postscript Printer, but
    when I go to Add, I get an error message:
    Unable to verify the printer on your network. Unable to connect to '192.168.1.5'
    due to an error. Would you like to still to create the que?
    And if I do continue, subsequent attempts to print fail.
    Don't quite understand why the printer setup can't connect, because
    at the same time, I am connected to the host computer via finder.
    Not sure where to go from here.... And no explanation from the Add Printer
    dialogue what the error is. And I don't see anyway to access a log.
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  9. #9
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    Access logs in Console Utility.

    Because there is a print server in the way, the usual Mac OS X browse functions don't always work. Especially, finding printer models. select manually.

    deskjet 3320 not yet available in Gutenprint.
    But is available in the three-part hpijs driver set:
    macosx/hpijs | The Linux Foundation
    Canon BJC-240 is available in Gutenprint.

  10. #10
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Access logs in Console Utility.

    Because there is a print server in the way, the usual Mac OS X browse functions don't always work. Especially, finding printer models. select manually.

    deskjet 3320 not yet available in Gutenprint.
    But is available in the three-part hpijs driver set:
    macosx/hpijs | The Linux Foundation
    Canon BJC-240 is available in Gutenprint.
    Thanks. Yes, the BJC-240 driver is available and I could easily find it,
    but I get the same Unable to verify the printer .... error message.
    Both printers are on shares, we presume that the cups URL at
    192.16.1.5:631 can see them, but (presumably) Lion does not?
    I note that finder does not see the shared printers either.
    thanks
    tim
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  11. #11
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by timinak View Post
    we presume that the cups URL at
    192.16.1.5:631 can see them, but (presumably) Lion does not?
    Sorry - not sure what you mean by that.

    On Ubuntu, you went to System > Administration > Printing, and enabled sharing? And enabled Server > Settings > publish shared printer?

  12. #12
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    Sorry - not sure what you mean by that.
    Never mind. Brain fart!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    On Ubuntu, you went to System > Administration > Printing, and enabled sharing? And enabled Server > Settings > publish shared printer?
    Yes. That has been done and this (Canon) printer is being used by other
    linux boxes here. If I go ahead and add the printer and go to print, I
    get a conversion to PDF, choose print again, and get an error message that
    the URI is incorrect or no longer exists.
    FYI:
    The URI for the printer can be obtained from Cups as in
    http://192.168.1.5:631, choose 'Printers' and then select the printer itself.
    But for the life of me I can't see where to enter the printer URI in the
    Lion->System Preferences->Printers window. Furthermore, I can't see
    how to edit an installed printer.
    Thanks again
    Tim
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  13. #13
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    I will add that by going the following route:
    System Preferences
    Print &Scan
    +
    Windows
    (instead of IP)
    workgroup
    I can see both of my other computers
    I choose
    barbara (the 'print server')
    Where I can see both of the printers.
    choose
    Canon-BJC-240
    Which places the print name in the Name: field below.
    Enter for Location: barbara
    and from the dropdown list choose the printer model.
    Click on Add and Lion appears
    to install without any error message.
    But when I go to print I get a
    Code:
    Cannot connect to printer
    message in the Job Info section of the queue window.
    It is not sending authentication?
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

  14. #14
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Dec 11, 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    What you're saying still doesn't quite sound right.
    "The URI for the printer can be obtained from Cups as in
    http://192.168.1.5:631, choose 'Printers' and then select the printer itself.
    But for the life of me I can't see where to enter the printer URI in the
    Lion->System Preferences->Printers window."

    I guess you don't understand that Print & Fax/scan on OS X enables you to enter the queue name and the IP address, but fills in all the rest of the URI automatically?
    so, IPP filled in means
    ipp://192.168.1.5:631/printers/queue_name on the client.

    Is this still not clear?

  15. #15
    Using printer from linux computer

    Member Since
    Sep 12, 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
    What you're saying still doesn't quite sound right.
    .....
    I guess you don't understand that Print & Fax/scan on OS X enables you to enter the queue name and the IP address, but fills in all the rest of the URI automatically?
    so, IPP filled in means
    ipp://192.168.1.5:631/printers/queue_name on the client.

    Is this still not clear?
    It is. Yet I am getting error messages complaining that the URI is non-existant. That is why I raised the question.
    Please see the method I outlined in the post that I made following the post
    that you are referring to above.
    Software developer since 1987, web programmer since
    1996. Linux user since 2000. 2011 mac mini, 8 Gb RAM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM
  3. Intel Mac /Win Xp/Linux shared printer problem;
    By mircobeake in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
  4. Airport express sharing a printer with linux
    By ceramica in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
  5. Cheap USB printer for Mac OS X and Linux?
    By mangoSharingan in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •