Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

    Member Since
    Jul 13, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    I am about to purchase a Macbook Pro for the first time. I have been told the new Lion operating system comes out in Sept. I was wondering if I should wait to purchase the new computer with the new operating system or if I should go ahead and buy the new laptop and then purchase Lion when it comes out? I would like a new laptop as soon as possible but have no immediate problems with my current laptop other than it is a dell and has no battery life off the charger. Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Lion comes out in July, most likely next week. I don't know who told you September.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  3. #3
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

    Member Since
    Jul 13, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Ok well that helps out a lot. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

    Member Since
    Jul 13, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?

  5. #5
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspr87 View Post
    Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?
    The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.
    12" rMB 256gb | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 2 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  6. #6
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by sandspr87 View Post
    Would it be cheaper to wait and purchase with new OS or would it be cheaper to upgrade?
    If I have heard right the upgrade price is $29.99. I don't know if that is a financial hardship for you but that's a pretty reasonable price so if you need a Mac laptop right now and can't wait then buying Lion later probably wouldn't be much of a hardship for you.

    You just have to go through the process of upgrading your Mac which isn't really hard based on previous Mac OS upgrades.

  7. #7
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    Bob_Stan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 17, 2011
    Posts
    293
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6 Core XEON, 1TB SSD,64GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 480GB SSD, 500GB HD, 16GB
    I am pretty sure a new machine purchased from June 6th til the release of Lion qualifies for free Lion upgrade.

  8. #8
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    The upgrade is only going to be $29, so if you can wait then do so but if not buy now and pay $29 more later.
    All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  9. #9
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    All new machines get Lion for free. There's no extra cost.
    That's great to hear. It looks like sandspr87 can now use that money to throw a "I just saved $29 so I'm throwing a $29 party to celebrate my saved money".

  10. #10
    Should I wait to buy an Apple once Lion comes out?
    torchy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    760
    Specs:
    13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
    I would wait for new Macs with Lion already installed.
    Many are expecting updates to various models so you could get a better price on an older model and still have Lion free....
    ~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should i buy this or wait ?
    By dime4dice in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 05:40 PM
  2. Mac Mini buy now or wait till apple keynote speech?
    By mackyboy in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM
  3. Buy now or wait for 10.5
    By Redleg91 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
  4. Buy or wait - Apple Cinema Display 30-inches
    By spike5792 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 09:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •