Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Leopard - Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
    I have Leopard right now, and bought Snow Leopard this afternoon from Apple, mainly just to have since they said most likely they won't offer it past Monday.

    So... I'm just wondering (guessing really, since none of us know about Lion yet), but... would you guys upgrade to Snow Leopard or would you just wait till Monday to find out.

    I'm guessing I would have to upgrade anyway - ie - can't go from Leopard to Lion without a upgrade, but since you guys have more experience than I do (I'm pretty much a IMac virgin) I'd thought I'd ask you.

    My son, who I bought this IMac from - just told me to update, but I figured I'd ask the experienced ones here :-)

    Thanks :-)

  2. #2

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    WHo is "they" that said it would be offered after Monday?

    If you already own SL, you might as well upgrade. It won't hurt either way, and honestly, it's unlikely Lion will be coming out for a bit still.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  3. #3

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    49,416
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Welcome to the Mac Forums.

    We really have no information regarding the release of Lion nor do we know if an upgrade from Leopard to Lion is possible. I'm guessing that the upgrade path will be from Snow Leopard to Lion.

    If you have already purchased Snow Leopard I would do the upgrade from Leopard. Later on if you should decide to buy Lion when it's released, you can upgrade again.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Upgrade to Snow or wait for Lion?
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    WHo is "they" that said it would be offered after Monday?

    If you already own SL, you might as well upgrade. It won't hurt either way, and honestly, it's unlikely Lion will be coming out for a bit still.

    Hi - It was the Specialist at the Apple store. I wasn't quite sure if I needed to do a sequential upgrade or not. He said that as soon as Lion is announced, it would be most likely that Apple would not sell SL online or in the store.

    I didn't believe him, but bought it anyway, as I went there for that purpose (and to drool over the Iphone 4 :-).

  5. #5

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    So you have any expensive apps you can not afford to replace that need Rosetta to run? If so, get Snow Leopard as every Dev has flat out said no Rosetta in 10.7. Otherwise up to you.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jun 03, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Update to Snow or wait for Lion?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    So you have any expensive apps you can not afford to replace that need Rosetta to run? If so, get Snow Leopard as every Dev has flat out said no Rosetta in 10.7. Otherwise up to you.
    What is Rosetta? I'm new to Mac so I'm not familiar with this.

  7. #7

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Rosetta (software) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Basically it lets PPC Apps to run on a Intel Machine
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  8. #8

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Power PC Emulation. Only issues are some very expensive programs like say Adobe CS2 and below that will only work on Power PC or Intel with Rosetta. Also there are some games that are not that old that need Rosetta to run. I paid a lot of $$$ for them and I will have to have 10.6 installed to use them.

  9. #9

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    I paid a lot of $$$ for them and I will have to have 10.6 installed to use them.

    Does that bother you at all with the eminent release of Lion 10.7 ??
    Where you going to upgrade only to find out Lion wont support what you need ??
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  10. #10

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,981
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Does that bother you at all with the eminent release of Lion 10.7 ??
    Where you going to upgrade only to find out Lion wont support what you need ??
    Bugs me no end but I guess you can say progress!

    I don't have to own Lion but I think I will get the suction cups and take off the front from my iMac, and install a 1TB drive and run both 10.6 and 10.7 side by side. At $29 for Lion I for sure want it here.

  11. #11

    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,437
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Bugs me no end but I guess you can say progress!

    I don't have to own Lion but I think I will get the suction cups and take off the front from my iMac, and install a 1TB drive and run both 10.6 and 10.7 side by side. At $29 for Lion I for sure want it here.
    Yea thought as much. And think of the 000's out there in your predicament.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade from snow leopard to lion on old MacBook.
    By Trowski in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 05:50 AM
  2. Mountain Lion Upgrade from Snow Leopard 10.5.8
    By nsgredler in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 12:14 AM
  3. Will a Lion Backup upgrade Snow Leopard?
    By Jhorra in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-05-2012, 02:31 AM
  4. Lion vs. Snow Leopard- should I upgrade?
    By joebohr in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 02:05 PM
  5. Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion?
    By nicolesmithweb in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •