Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    Hi Everyone, I am hoping that you can answer a couple of my questions.

    When I start up my Macbook Pro (10.5 Leopard) I receive the folder with the question mark and ticking sound. I have looked up info on it from the apple support site and other forums which say I need the installation disk....that is where i run into problems.

    I bought the computer from my friend and I am not sure if he still has the disk (I never got it from him when I originally bought it)

    What is the best way for my to conquer this problem if he does not have the originally installation disk?

    ALSO, when the computer makes a loud ticking sound, almost like a clock. I am very worried about this...

    Thanks for all the help

  2. #2
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by senor chistes View Post
    Hi Everyone, I am hoping that you can answer a couple of my questions.

    When I start up my Macbook Pro (10.5 Leopard) I receive the folder with the question mark and ticking sound. I have looked up info on it from the apple support site and other forums which say I need the installation disk....that is where i run into problems.

    I bought the computer from my friend and I am not sure if he still has the disk (I never got it from him when I originally bought it)

    What is the best way for my to conquer this problem if he does not have the originally installation disk?.

    Thanks for all the help
    Two possibilities:

    - The flashing "?" means there's no OS installed on the hard drive.
    - The "ticking" sound could mean that the hard drive is damaged/dead...which would also give you the flashing "?"

    In either case you're going to need an OS install disk...and possibly a new hard drive.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,828
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    You might be able to get the OS discs for that Mac from Apple, for a fee, of course. I'm not sure what type of proof of ownership they require in such situations.

  4. #4
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2011
    Posts
    3
    UPDATE. just spoke to my friend

    A) he has the disk

    However, I believe it might be more serious because of the loud clocklike noise

    IT IS under warranty....AM I covered if this is as bad as it seems

  5. #5
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by senor chistes View Post
    However, I believe it might be more serious because of the loud clocklike noise

    IT IS under warranty....AM I covered if this is as bad as it seems
    We have no idea! You haven't told us:

    - what model MacBook Pro you have
    - how old it is (if you know)
    - if this MacBook Pro has the "standard" 12 month Applecare...or extended Applecare (3 years)

    But...hard drives are normally NOT covered under Applecare...unless you can prove that there was some sort of manufacturing defect.

    On the positive side...hard drives for MacBook Pros are relatively inexpensive...and easy to install.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2011
    Posts
    3
    piece laigaird
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    We have no idea! You haven't told us:

    - what model MacBook Pro you have
    - how old it is (if you know)
    - if this MacBook Pro has the "standard" 12 month Applecare...or extended Applecare (3 years)

    But...hard drives are normally NOT covered under Applecare...unless you can prove that there was some sort of manufacturing defect.

    On the positive side...hard drives for MacBook Pros are relatively inexpensive...and easy to install.

    - Nick

    Early 2008 15 inch macbook pro.

    I was able to check my warranty on apple's site by submitting the serial number. I am covered until August 2011

    Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

    "Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
    Estimated Expiration Date: August 7, 2011
    Covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
    The AppleCare Protection Plan is a unique service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage of your Apple product."
    --from Apple site

    Also, how much would it cost if I were to buy a new hard drive?

    Thanks for all of this--very helpful!

  7. #7
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by senor chistes View Post
    Early 2008 15 inch macbook pro.

    I was able to check my warranty on apple's site by submitting the serial number. I am covered until August 2011

    Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

    "Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under the AppleCare Protection Plan.
    Estimated Expiration Date: August 7, 2011
    Covered by the AppleCare Protection Plan
    The AppleCare Protection Plan is a unique service and support solution that extends the complimentary coverage of your Apple product."
    --from Apple site

    Also, how much would it cost if I were to buy a new hard drive?

    Thanks for all of this--very helpful!
    Could be anywhere from 50-170 dollars. Depending on what kind of HDD you are buying, and how much space it has. IE 320GB, 500GB etc.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  8. #8
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by senor chistes View Post
    I was able to check my warranty on apple's site by submitting the serial number. I am covered until August 2011
    Good deal that this MacBook Pro is still covered with Applecare...but as mentioned...hard drives typically not covered...and in this case, the computer's hard drive has been working fine for 2 years & 5 months...so it's sort of tough to say it's a manufacturing defect.

    But...you never never know with Apple. If you take it to a local Apple Store...they just might replace it...or sell you a new one at Apple's wholesale cost (versus full retail).

    If Apple decides to go route #2 (sell you an HD at a reduced cost)...just make sure you know how much you can get the same size hard drive somewhere else...since Apple sometimes charges more for things.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9
    Folder with Question Mark on Startup (no installation disk)
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,014
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    And whilst there invest in Snow Leopard.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Folder with question mark on startup
    By hansonxd in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 07:10 PM
  2. flashing folder with question mark on startup.
    By bendixon110 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM
  3. Help -- folder with question mark at startup -- can't log in
    By MamaD in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 02:21 AM
  4. Blinking Folder with Question mark at startup
    By xelena in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •