Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    silvermac4108's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 02, 2009
    Posts
    62
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    Hi:

    My iMac is only a year old, but it seems so sluggish.

    How can I clean it up so it "moves" faster.

    I have Comcast for my ISP....maybe that is the problem, huh?

    THANKS.

    Elizabeth

  2. #2
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
    Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

    If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
    Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
    Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
    When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
    This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

    So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.

  3. #3
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    silvermac4108's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 02, 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    Need a little more info Elizabath..... I know they say that size doesn't matter hehe.... but what is the size of your HD, and how much space is left?
    Following that, before suspecting the ISP, how is it running when not on the internet, ie. just using word, or pages etc?

    If it is running slowly then, assuming that your caches, etc aren't loaded to the max, that you haven't flooded it with startup items, your desktop isn't full, and your trash is empty, you could always do a clean install of your leopard or snow leopard, and then a clean install of all the software that you have on there, and then migrate your documents, pics, music, etc.
    Taking it a step further, which is tedious, and depending on how comfortable you are with it, you could do what I did....
    Clean install of OS X and installed 3rd party software, and moving over the keychains, app support and preferences, and everything else necessary to have all the applications running where you left off. For instance, firefox with all the bookmarks and add ons, mail up and running etc.
    When I took the last option, I gained a couple of gig more space, which means that I also cleared a lot of residual prefs etc that I had left over from old applications, as well as conflicting prefs for apps that I still use.
    This sped things up significantly for me, but took a few attempts to get it right, as a lot of files needed to run applications as they were, were located in places that I didn't suspect they would be.

    So, I guess, a little more info is needed unless I have answered your question already.
    All is sluggish....I am not comfortable about installing anything.

    It says 175.7 GB available...not sure where I find the size of the HD.

    There isn't any kind of cleanup like on a PC and defragmentation?.

    I empty the cache on Firefox....I tried using Safari...thought the iMac liked Safari better, but it didn't move any faster.

    THANKS for your suggestions.

  4. #4
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
    After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
    Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
    Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
    PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

    When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

    It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

    As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.

  5. #5
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    silvermac4108's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 02, 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
    After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
    Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
    Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
    PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

    When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

    It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

    As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.
    Yes....very new to a Mac....thanks for all your information...will check this out after work this evening.

    I do back up the system...had help with that from my son...can't have his help until he comes home for Xmas.

  6. #6
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    silvermac4108's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 02, 2009
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    ok..... sounds like you're fairly new to Mac... so, I'll start with go to Applications/utilities/disk utilities>then go to start up disk (your HD) and click repair disk permissions. (you will also see the size of your HD there)
    After that, you may want to download Onyx, or Mainmenu 1.7.4 (free version, but a lot of sites though telling you that you're downloading 1.7.4, will give you 2.x.x.. so keep trying until you get the right version)
    Both of these will do all that you want as far as cleanup goes!
    Defrag on Mac is not common practice, and not necessary!
    PS Safari is no good (my opinion, as is many a people's opinion... Firefox is the one to use), as for safari, easy way to go about it is to go to Safari in menu bar, and chooses reset safari!

    When I say clean install, first option, I'm referring to your OS X install discs. So... backing up your system, on time machine ie, and then doing an erase/install, and restoring your mac from the external HD. (There are many ways to back up and do a clean install, so if you want to do that, post that in your reply and you will be assisted with that, and the options available.)

    It's all very simple whatever way you want to go!

    As specifically as possible, the more information that you can give about your iMac, OS X version, the more either I or the many on Mac Forums will be more than willing to assist you.
    Just found this:

    Mount Point : / Capacity : 200.9 GB (215,687,888,896 Bytes)

    Format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

    Available : 176.9 GB (189,914,132,480 Bytes)

    Owners Enabled : Yes Used : 24.0 GB (25,773,756,416 Bytes)

    Number of Folders : 146,620 Number of Files : 590,567

  7. #7
    How can I clean my Mac so it "moves" faster
    JUKE179r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2009
    Location
    DohaLondonVegas
    Posts
    882
    Specs:
    '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!
    How much RAM do you have?
    Max out the RAM if you can.
    MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records

  8. #8
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    ok... well any problems, or unsure, look before you leap because as stated, there are many a mac hands ready to help in this forum, and there are no stupid questions, so if unsure, ask!

  9. #9
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
    How much RAM do you have?
    Max out the RAM if you can.
    Yes... and Ram is always good to have much of

  10. #10
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster
    Sawday's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 19, 2006
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    1,122
    Specs:
    24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
    How much RAM do you have?
    Max out the RAM if you can.
    I'm sure OP being a complete newbie to macs will not have a clue what 'Max out the Ram' actually means. And as they are not happily doing software installs then they are hardly likely to start playing with the innards.

    One thing no one has suggested yet to the original poster is to ensure that you are properly closing applications that you are not using. I't so easy just to think you have closed them by clicking the top left hand button when what they really need to do is close the item. Too many applications left running is one sure way to slow things down.
    Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.

  11. #11
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    I would also like to add that "maxing out the ram" is not always the solution to slow computers...in fact, it's rarely the answer!

    Sometimes increasing ram may help (depending on the situation). The OP's computer is only 1 year old...and most 1 year old iMacs (depending on the model) have a max ram capacity of 6 - 8 gigs.

    Very very few users need 6-8 gigs of ram...so maxing out the ram is rarely the solution!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster
    TechieJustin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 16, 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    298
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15"
    I saw 6string and just have to say it...

    "bought it at the 5 & Dime"


    Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?

  13. #13
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster
    Sawday's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 19, 2006
    Location
    York, UK
    Posts
    1,122
    Specs:
    24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by TechieJustin View Post
    I saw 6string and just have to say it...

    "bought it at the 5 & Dime"


    Also, is HFS+ based off ext2/ext3? Or is it completely different?
    Which in English means???
    Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.

  14. #14
    todd51
    Guest
    You could also download and install Onyx (it's free) which has automated scripts that will verify/repair permissions, clean all your cache, and also run the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance scripts that sometimes might get skipped due to the computer being asleep or powered down every night.

  15. #15
    How can I clean my Mac so it &quot;moves&quot; faster
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    With sluggish OS, I run the Repair Disk Permissions and yes it does a good job.

    Over the last month i have trialled MainMenu and quote "MainMenu is a powerful maintenance tool to keep your Mac running like new, packed in a slick and simple interface. Improve application performance, make searching faster and speed up your disk access. All that and more is just two clicks".
    I have found this by far the best out there and the easiest to use, especially for the new to Mac people. To the point i have just purchased it.
    A software install is as easy as once downloaded drag into Applications.....

    This software made my Mac quicker and in it cleaning it up i have on average received back about 2Gb in each running of it. (every week)

    MainMenu download here

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 08:07 PM
  2. Apple CEO says company "making moves to make things more affordable"
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  3. First Thunderbolt Tests: "Dramatically Faster" Than FireWire, Supports Booting fr
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2011, 09:52 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM
  5. How much faster is 15" i7 over a 2006 Macbook 13" (2Gz)?
    By callagga in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •