Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Aloel
    Guest
    HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed
    I am on a G4 with 641M ram, 10G HD, 333mhz.
    My computer would not install 10.3, kept getting errors.
    So I got basic OSX from a friend and was able to install after upgrading to 9.2.2 from 9.1. I then upgraded from OSX to OSX.1.5 TERRIFIC!!

    I felt like I was in heaven. So I figured maybe 10.3 will install now, and I tried.
    It didn't install, some error AND it erased my OSX all together.

    I'm a tenacious sort, ( I was using disk utility through each install attempt)so I backed up everything I had on my computer and went for a clean install _ ERASED IT ALL! Install failed.

    I can't reinstall the Basic OSX after zapping pram, running disk utility and reformatting twice. None of my OSX CDs will install again. I'm back to 9.2.2 with just a few things not working well...like ancient browsers from installs. No firmware update needed on this machine either...I checked and tried an install.

    What am I to do? Considering buying a new Mac mini but I want OSX on my G4 too!

    HELLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

  2. #2
    HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed
    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Is your version of Panther a full version or an upgrade?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  3. #3
    Aloel
    Guest
    Full version
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Is your version of Panther a full version or an upgrade?
    The installer asked if I wanted to upgrade, archive and install or to erase and install.

  4. #4
    HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed
    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Hmm..a G4 333MHz?!? That never existed...

    Anyway, I had this kind of trouble too, OS9 ran fine, but when trying to install Panther, I had random errors and it was impossible to install.
    It took me quite some time to find out that it was because of one memory module that seemed to be a little bit out of spec, and there was no way to make it work with Panther.

  5. #5
    Aloel
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Hmm..a G4 333MHz?!? That never existed...

    Anyway, I had this kind of trouble too, OS9 ran fine, but when trying to install Panther, I had random errors and it was impossible to install.
    It took me quite some time to find out that it was because of one memory module that seemed to be a little bit out of spec, and there was no way to make it work with Panther.
    It is a first run Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) 350 MHz, I thought it said 333MHz but I'm not on that computer now. Maybe its the iMac OS9 I had to install when the OS10.3 attempt hosed me. I began with the 8.6 that came with the G4...nowhere man.

    I'll check the ram I installed. Who da thunk it could be THAT!

  6. #6
    HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed
    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloel
    It is a first run Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) 350 MHz, I thought it said 333MHz but I'm not on that computer now. Maybe its the iMac OS9 I had to install when the OS10.3 attempt hosed me. I began with the 8.6 that came with the G4...nowhere man.

    I'll check the ram I installed. Who da thunk it could be THAT!
    Yep, it took me quite some time too to figure that out...nevertheless, It doesn't mean that your issue is the same. But stil worth a try.

  7. #7
    Aloel
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Yep, it took me quite some time too to figure that out...nevertheless, It doesn't mean that your issue is the same. But stil worth a try.
    I'm having someone ELSE attempt to install OSX10.3. He claims to have been successful on 3 of his Macs including one like mine. I'll post the results hopefully tomorrow.

  8. #8
    HELP!! Installing OSX was tough, But NOW I'm hosed
    Avalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 25, 2004
    Location
    Luxemburg, Europe
    Posts
    1,779
    Specs:
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloel
    I'm having someone ELSE attempt to install OSX10.3. He claims to have been successful on 3 of his Macs including one like mine. I'll post the results hopefully tomorrow.
    Your Mac model isn't the problem...there must be some hardware issue somewhere, if the firmware is right.

    I saw 10.3 running perfectly on a B&W G3.

  9. #9
    Aloel
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Your Mac model isn't the problem...there must be some hardware issue somewhere, if the firmware is right.

    I saw 10.3 running perfectly on a B&W G3.
    A Friend installed it for me and its working GREAT! 10.3.9

    Today I changed the password and installed several programs with no problem. Suddenly my last install for my keyboard wouldn't recognize my password. Anyone know how I can change it without the installer CDs?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I hosed my machine
    By kjohnson1 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
  2. am i hosed?
    By RustProofCorn in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
  3. Installing gcc on Mac OSX without re-installing XCode
    By jigglypuff in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 12:16 AM
  4. 3.1.1 A2DP is still hosed for me :(
    By ErikJenkins1187 in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
  5. Just got hosed by Apple
    By txstchmike in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •