Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    HI ALL,

    This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

    On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

    On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

    I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp and I can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

    So, any ideas of how to do this?

    Thanks,

    Joe :doctor:

  2. #2
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    James's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 26, 2004
    Location
    Pocola, Oklahoma
    Posts
    808
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerjoe
    HI ALL,

    This maybe a newbie question, but can't figure it out.

    On Linux or Windows you would right click the desktop and make a shortcut or link to application and that would be that.

    On OS-X I find myself perplexed by this seemingly easy task.

    I want to create a Shortcut (aka Alias) on the desktop to GIMP program which runs under X11. GIMP program resides in /sw/bin/gimp andI can launch it from the terminal command line or add it to X11 menu and launch it from there, but what I really want is a icon on my desktop. Now if the program resides in the Application folder I could make an Alias of it, but the GIMP program does not appear there.

    So, any ideas of how to do this?

    Thanks,

    Joe :doctor:
    When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.

  3. #3
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Joe




    Quote Originally Posted by James
    When you go to "Programs" and click on Gimp doesn't it put the Gimp icon on your "launch bar" on your desktop? If so, simply right click on the Gimp icon and tell it to "stay" that way it will be on your desktop all the time and when you click on it, it will automaticly start X11 too.

  4. #4
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    johnnyluu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    228
    Specs:
    G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
    Sorry, this is a bit ranom and just an assumption. I don't really know anything and could be totally wrong, but cant you run terminal commands with an applescript? Just create a script that does the terminal command for running Gimp and then launch it from the script menu using the newly created applescript. Possibly.
    I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
    http://johnny.persistentperil.net

  5. #5
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    James's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 26, 2004
    Location
    Pocola, Oklahoma
    Posts
    808
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerjoe
    No it does not show up as an icon in the Dock, maybe because it is an X11 app, I don't know. I know what you are referring to though, "Keep in Dock" on a right click on the icon of a running program.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Hmmmm... what version of OS X are you using? Try dragging the Gimp icon itself to the dock and if it works then use the Keep in dock function. Other than that I don't know what would work.

  6. #6
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.

  7. #7
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    One possible solution
    In finder I went to /sw/bin directory and tried to launch GIMP from there, it was asking what application to use to open GIMP, so once I figured out to point it to the application X11, it would continue to launch. Next I could copy GIMP from /sw/bin to the desktop, but I didn't see a way to just do an ALIAS. While I can now launch GIMP from the icon on my desktop, this seems like a round about way of doing something that should be so simple.

    Any Ideas Greatly Appreciated!

    Thanks

    Joe

  8. #8
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    There is no make Alias when ctrl clicking GIMP, there is a copy, See my other post on that. Maybe no Alias because it it isn't seen as a Apple program... just a thought.

    Thanks,

    Joe



    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    hold down control, click the gimp app, select make alias, then drag it to the desktop, or take it from the apps folder and drop it on the dock.

  9. #9
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
    You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

    You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.

  10. #10
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist
    There is a binary executable (.app) version of the Gimp for OS X. It's the first link on http://gimp.org/macintosh/
    You can put this .app in your Applications folder, and it'll work like any proper Macintosh application. (Though it still requires X11.)

    You can also make an alias by holding down Command+Option (your pointer should have a curly arrow) and dragging to the Desktop.
    That's one way to do it :confused:

  11. #11
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    Murlyn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2003
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    4,915
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

    Code:
    ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp
    That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing

  12. #12
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    Quote Originally Posted by Murlyn
    I believe the reason you are having these problems is because it's not a carbon/cocoa app thus the problems you are having. Now one way you can do it is by typing something like this in the terminal:

    Code:
    ln -s /sw/bin/gimp ~/Desktop/Gimp
    That creates a symbolic link, which is more of a linux thing then a GUI Mac thing
    That's one way to skin that cat.

    Thanks

  13. #13
    guerom00
    Guest
    Hi there,

    You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

    $ cd /sw/bin/
    $ mv gimp gimp.x11app

    After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp

  14. #14
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    All that to get a shortcut?

  15. #15
    Making A Link-Shortcut-Alias On Desktop
    gunnerjoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    75
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S
    Quote Originally Posted by guerom00
    Hi there,

    You can also rename your application appending the suffix .x11app to tell OSX that it is a X11 application (in a Terminal) :

    $ cd /sw/bin/
    $ mv gimp gimp.x11app

    After that, a double click will lauch directly Gimp
    That's a nice trick. I can then do click ctrl-command and make the dang shortcut of the gimp.x11app to the desktop.

    Boy that was easy :confused:

    Thanks,

    Joe

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. create desktop alias for everybody
    By 1qaz in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 11:05 PM
  2. Making external HDD alias shortcut - problem
    By 5150studios in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM
  3. making a mobileme alias a main id?
    By ferritt in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
  4. Changing the Icon For Desktop Alias
    By mac57 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 11:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •