Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2004
    Posts
    80
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    :mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.

  2. #2
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2004
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexyboy
    :mad: HELP!!!!! I got two viruses while suring the web with my brand new powerbook g4 1.33ghz. Then Norton Anti Virus autmoaticly detected it and it quarntined it. SO then I deleted both of them. Was that smart? I also thought mac didnt get viruses should I contact apple tomarrow and tell them to do someting am i overreacting.
    I figured it out i visited the same website agian after I updated to a new security patch and everytihn is fine. DO u think i should still kepp norton antivirus on autoprotwct cause it kind of slows my computer down just a bit :cool:

  3. #3
    Danster
    Guest
    did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

    i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
    microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
    and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

    uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!

  4. #4
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2004
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Danster
    did you get a pop-up when norton found the virus saying please upgrade norton anti virus with new software? thats what proberly happend ya see like w-xp they let or make up viruses so you'll buy more software.

    i have no internet protection just me firewall and i download all sorts of stuff
    microsoft office, adobe photoshop etc.
    and i haven't had a single problem with my mac.

    uninstall norton and mail it back to those blood hounds who made it for mac in a million pieces!!!
    No it said norotn found a trojan then it couldnt automaticly clean it so then I deleted the virus. Then I thought mac couldnt get virsues then i went under ther little apple in the toolbar and cliked software update It said that I had to update 2 security patch and not im not getting hijacked anumore to bad websites. Thats what happened I was hajiacked to a different website then I got two trojans and I had to delete it. SO I guess I was the first person on the planet to get two treojans on an apple. Lucky me.

  5. #5
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Macs don't get virus. These depend on the windows registry and we simply don't have that crap. Norton is not a good third party choice for Mac

  6. #6
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    yup, no viruses, norton has gone down the drain (to put it nicely) the last few years and usually causes more harm than it does good, often damaging b-trees thinking look, whats that? I dont know, but let me try to kill it. I say remove any norton products immediately.
    theres no need for it anyway.

  7. #7
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Absolute Zero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 05, 2003
    Location
    I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Posts
    1,246
    Specs:
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    There are around 10 known viruses/trojans for OS X... don't lie to him.

  8. #8
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Macman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,374
    Specs:
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.

  9. #9
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Absolute Zero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 05, 2003
    Location
    I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Posts
    1,246
    Specs:
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    You don't have to put the virus in pirated software, you can put it into a freeware app... just claim that it cures cancer or something magnificent... it will spread.

    And uhh, Opener can still screw the system, but Apple claims its not a virus... reality check, Apple.

  10. #10
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period

  11. #11
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Absolute Zero's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 05, 2003
    Location
    I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Posts
    1,246
    Specs:
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    You have to be admin or root to install anything that can harm a Mac. True worms and virus are dependent on the registry in windows. What part of this distinction is being missed? No Unix, OS X or Linux is exposed to this idiotic OS architecture. Period
    What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?

  12. #12
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
    What is stopping anyone from using root/admin account while online?
    How smart they are. Admin is safe on line because of the password prompt. Never be root on line

  13. #13
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2004
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    no, they are squashed by security updates, theres a couple of trojans but you have to be fooled into installing them with pirated software, there is like 2 actual viruses for mac os x, but again, dont pirate software, and you wont get them.
    well then how did i get two viruses am i just unlucky. Well I didnt install a security update so I think thats why. But im keeping norton becuase it deleted two torjans.

  14. #14
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    Norton is searching for windows virus, they are meaningless to your Mac. Norton is the wrong choice for Mac, use Virex and only if you network to windows computers. And that's the bottom line!

  15. #15
    SO Scared I got a virus!!!!! What DO I DO
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I agree with whiteshark, most likely the trojans you downloaded are designed for windows PC's..

    The reason norton detects them is so you don't accidentally spread them to windows users...

    But realistically the chances of you getting a Virus on OS X is very very slim indeed...

    I wouldn't bother with Norton, unless you are on a network with other windows machines, in which case you might want to leave it on so you don't inadvertadly spread viruses to the windows users.


    But most viruses will NOT affect your mac. The ones that will have to ask you for your password so they can install themselves...Don't give your password to any install dialogs you don't intend to install..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scared of Mice
    By A12x12 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
  2. Wow, this scared me.
    By laguano in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 11:34 PM
  3. scared O_O
    By iphix in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 08:11 AM
  4. Just switched, a little scared!!
    By SexyHolly in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
  5. I'm scared :(
    By iphix in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 04:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •