Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2010
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Question What programming language to learn?
    Hello, I was wondering what programming language to learn to program on a mac. I'm using the Eclipse IDE (I've used xcode, and found it too bulky with all the tools in it, I only needed the IDE). I just plan to develop simple command line programs for now (I'm only in the beginner/mild experience range). I know a bit of C and C++, but should I learn something different?

    Thanks,

    Mitch Guzman

  2. #2
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2009
    Posts
    59
    I program in AppleScript. It's pretty easy to learn and you can do a lot with it.

  3. #3
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by blondie :) View Post
    Hello, I was wondering what programming language to learn to program on a mac. I'm using the Eclipse IDE (I've used xcode, and found it too bulky with all the tools in it, I only needed the IDE). I just plan to develop simple command line programs for now (I'm only in the beginner/mild experience range). I know a bit of C and C++, but should I learn something different?

    Thanks,

    Mitch Guzman
    If you like Pascal and would like an open-source, multi-platform IDE for GUI and console apps, have a look at Lazarus:

    Lazarus - Index
    www.dynostep.com
    engine simulation software

  4. #4
    What programming language to learn?
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    I would suggest taking a look at some Python, Perl and Ruby tutorials to see what suits you best. Each of them comes with your Mac and can be a nice intro to programming.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  5. #5
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Jun 02, 2008
    Posts
    709
    Wow, lots of advice what to learn but not one has asked what the OP plans or wants to do with what he learns...

    There are a slew of languages out there but if you eventually want to program for the Mac, Objective C is the way to go (especially since you have some C background already). If you think that is too difficult then you could start with Java (a real OOP language).

    Now, if you are doing WEB development then there are a whole different set of languages to choose from. However, you will find that they come easier once you get a solid background in one or two languages.

  6. #6
    What programming language to learn?
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
    There are a slew of languages out there but if you eventually want to program for the Mac, Objective C is the way to go (especially since you have some C background already).
    You don't need to know ObjC to program for the Mac. There are other fine languages and libraries that work well in OS X. I use Python and wxPython and they work like a charm. The idea that Mac programming absolutely has to be done in ObjC is ridiculous especially for beginners. I am by no means an expert programmer (and have no problems with saying that) but working with scripting languages is a great way to start.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  7. #7
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2010
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    You don't need to know ObjC to program for the Mac. There are other fine languages and libraries that work well in OS X. I use Python and wxPython and they work like a charm. The idea that Mac programming absolutely has to be done in ObjC is ridiculous especially for beginners. I am by no means an expert programmer (and have no problems with saying that) but working with scripting languages is a great way to start.
    so you recommend I start with a scripting language such as python or ruby? I've looked at both of em and they both seem pretty sound.

    P.S. Thanks for all the input

  8. #8
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Jun 02, 2008
    Posts
    709
    As I said, it depends on what the OP wants to actually do in programming. Scripting languages are great but I wouldn't start there to be honest. It will be harder to grasp the OOP concepts and will feel more restrictive over all later down the line. Having done this for a living I think that it would be best to go with a good OOP and then add scripting to your arsenal later down the line. I can't tell you the number of folks that I met that can script like crazy but struggle with the more complex languages, get frustrated and then drop it.

  9. #9
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2010
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    All I want to do is be able to write simple GUI applications (calculators, etc). Just really simple stuff, I don't need to get too advanced just yet. So...the question still stands...scripting (python) or not (objective-c)?

  10. #10
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Jun 02, 2008
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by blondie :) View Post
    All I want to do is be able to write simple GUI applications (calculators, etc). Just really simple stuff, I don't need to get too advanced just yet. So...the question still stands...scripting (python) or not (objective-c)?
    Still depends on what your overall goals are. For instance, I can easily do calcs with VB (sorry, I am not a big mac programmer) or I can do it with JAVA. VB is easier overall but JAVA is a true OOP language. I learned JAVA first and it gave me a solid foundation that make it easier to understand how other languages work. That being said, if you are just messing around then script away...

    Just pick one and dig in.

  11. #11
    What programming language to learn?
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Java's not a bad language to start with and is fairly approachable. There are a lot of good development environments as well which helps when your writing code.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  12. #12
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2010
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    I think I'll just start with java then and I'll be using eclipse IDE. Thanks for all of your input guys I really appreciate it

  13. #13
    SpinningCompass
    Guest
    I'm late to the party, of course, but Blondie, I urge you to consider learning Python and then PyQt, both under Eclipse (thanks to PyDev).

    Once you get used to PyQt as a graphical toolkit, you'll find it remarkably easy to write GUI-based apps in Python. Qt has some excellent documentation, as does Python.

    YMMV but I found Java to be mind-numbingly tedious to learn, even with the help of NetBeans and its GUI designer, Matisse. Python was much easier, faster, and portable, especially when databases are involved.

    Do you plan on writing apps for PDAs, or just for regular PCs?

  14. #14
    What programming language to learn?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2010
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinningCompass View Post
    I'm late to the party, of course, but Blondie, I urge you to consider learning Python and then PyQt, both under Eclipse (thanks to PyDev).

    Once you get used to PyQt as a graphical toolkit, you'll find it remarkably easy to write GUI-based apps in Python. Qt has some excellent documentation, as does Python.

    YMMV but I found Java to be mind-numbingly tedious to learn, even with the help of NetBeans and its GUI designer, Matisse. Python was much easier, faster, and portable, especially when databases are involved.

    Do you plan on writing apps for PDAs, or just for regular PCs?
    Just pc's for now, but possibly PDAs later, depending on how interested I am in the language after I start learning it for a bit. If Python is easy to learn and will give me what I need, I think I'll start using that then (just because I love eclipse )

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Programming Language Enviroment
    By veck in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
  2. how to learn programming?
    By gauranga in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
  3. Newbie wanting to learn about Programming Concepts on a Mac
    By c1ph3rtxt in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM
  4. Programming language rated
    By knightjp in forum OS X - Development and Darwin
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-30-2007, 09:37 AM
  5. Can anyone reccomend a coding language to learn?
    By mWilton in forum Web Design and Hosting
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •